Networking question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric_L, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Today I decided to download the 15 day free trial of Ultima Online. The file is 607 MB (636,912,238 bytes). It took MY DSL connection about 30 minutes to download it. I downloaded it to the computer which is wired to my 54g wireless/wired modem/router.
    I then attempted to transfer it to my upstairs computer - which is connected wirelessly. It is directly over the router - about 8-10 feet. It says that the estimated time to transfer is over 30 minutes!

WTF?

I checked my DSL speed
    download speed : 4790 kbps or 598.8 KB/sec.
    upload speed : 631 kbps or 78.8 KB/sec.

It would seem to me that a device which should transfer at a rate of 54Mbit/s should be able to handle a tranfer considerably faster than the 598 kb/s. Am I wrong?

Anyone got any ideas of why the wireless transfer takes so long?

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

You'll never get a constant 54Mb over wireless.

In the past 2 minutes I've been checking my wireless connectivity and it has ranged between 36-48Mb, then back to 54Mb, etc.

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

4. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Even at half that I should still get a faster transfer rate...

5. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Any other wireless activity at the time (i.e. printing, surfing, etc.)

What router? I had a Netgear that went bad - Replaced with Linksys and my wireless speed jumped considerably. What is your conncection stength; good, excelent?

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

The 802.11a, b & g standards are all half-duplex. Meaning that if you have a 54 meg connection, you can only transfer data half that which is 27mb, add in some packet overhead of about 10% your looking at a transfer rate of about 24mb over an excellent connection.

7. MarkHastings

Just throwing something else out there - couldn't Windows based firewall (running on both systems) cause a major slow down?

I know we had issues at work where it would take a good 30 seconds to connect to our FTP server and take a LONG time to transfer if our firewall software (on each system) was turned on. Once we turned it off, the connection was instant and file transfers flew!!

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

The operative words in your post may well be "computer upstairs".

First of all, walls and floors (especially floors, I'd say, since they will be thicker than walls) will degrade the signal and if the signal strength drops enough, the WLAN will switch down to a slower speed.

Secondly, your antenna(s) may be set up in a non-optimal way. If you have the normal small stick antennas that are on normal routers and have them standing vertically, your signal strength especially straight upwards will, in a word, stink.

The radio signal will propagate in a "donut shape" around the antenna, where the antenna is standing smack in the middle of the "donut hole". This means that a vertically standing normal omnidirectional antenna will send a strong signal horizontally, but virtually nothing straight up and very weak up/down diagonally.

So, if you aren't seeing anywhere near 22 mbit or so (over 2 MB/sec) on a wireless g connection and you primarily use the wireless to communicate up rather than to the sides - turn the antenna into the horizontal instead of vertical. If your receiving computer is up and diagonally placed from you, tilt the antenna at a 45 degree angle (just tilt it away from the computer you are "aiming" at, not towards, ie the antenna shouldn't point at the target or you're again aiming the "donut hole" at the target which is no good.)

If the floor thickness still interferes - buy a better antenna. Your choices are a directional antenna or a more effective omnidirectional one.

However, you'll never get much past 20-22-24 mbit on a wireless g setup regardless of antenna.

9. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Thanks for the replies everyone. When I was doing the transfer there was no other wireless activity. I'll have to investigate the firewall idea. The antennas are horizontal, the floor is 5/8 or 3/4 plywood, bamboo flooring, with some 2X4 girders and drywall ceiling. There is no wireing above the router. The router is a Belkin and the signal strength shows as excellent - though I just noticed the speed showes as 11.0 Mbps. That's still twice as fast as my internet connection as far as I understand it.

10. MarkHastings

Also look into virus scanning...perhaps there's a double scan going on? i.e. Scanning from the 'push' system and then scanning on the receiving system?I know I don't go upstairs as fast as I go down. [​IMG]

11. Kimmo Jaskari

Here's a cool link I tend to mention when people need more oomph in the signal department. Cheap, easy and effective. Though not necessarily pretty. [​IMG]

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Hook one of those to your AP, point it straight up and it should "punch through" your flooring with no problems. If not... get another one and hook that up to the computer upstairs, pointing down. [​IMG]

12. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

"Today I decided to download the 15 day free trial of Ultima Online."

Sweet.. I loved that game, but I got bored of it about 8 years ago.

13. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Yeah, I played about 8 years ago also. My sons are now old enough to enjoy it. They've been playing a game called Runequest. I thought I'd show them a REAL MMORPG. THere have been some changes and I've forgoten enough that it's all new again. Dang it takes a long time to build up skills though... [​IMG]

14. Kimmo Jaskari

While we're on the topic - they are going to release an update to UO that will upgrade the graphics into something more modern. A few screenshots are available at Shacknews.com.

15. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

Why not get them Guild Wars, no monthly fee.