Networking Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave Nibeck, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

I tried asking at Best Buy and got the answer I expected "Sure you can but I can't explain it". Here is the question:

I have a desktop and a work notebook. I have them networked together using a router/switcher. The notebook operates on a VPN so the notebook and desktop cannot talk to each other.

I think I want to buy another laptop for my personal use and set up wireless (not allowed to use wireless for work laptop).

Having a wireless router with the desktop, VPN laptop (via cat5) and wireless laptop, will my personal machines communicate with each other (XP home on both)? What would I need to accomplish this?

2. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Yes your two home machines should communicate with each other without any problems. You probiably could get your work laptop to depending on how the VPN is setup. That would probiably piss off your IT people, I know I would be mad. [​IMG]

3. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

you would want to make sure they are both a member of the same workgroup (personal pc and laptop)

Do you work for the same place I do.... our network admin is afraid of wi-fi too [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And you should make sure you have the same users define on each PC/laptop with the necessary rights to access a shared drive on each PC/laptop.