Networking Question...Can I Make This Work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul E. Fox II, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Here's the deal...

I live 3 miles up a hollow from BFE and have NO access to any broadband capabilities.

Here's what I have and what I want to do. I recently bought a nice Linksys Wireless Access Point Cable/DSL Router with a built-in 4 port switch. My thought was that I could replace the OLD 3-Com 10mbps hub that I'm currently using in my Home Network with the new Linksys. Again, I don't have access to either Cable Modem or DSL but I thought I could just hook it in to the Network and make us of the Wireless capabilities and the nice 10/100 mbps switch, leaving the Cable/DSL ethernet connetion alone.

I couldn't figure out how to make it work properly.

I could see and access all the PCs currently on the Network AND even tried out my Wireless PC Card that came with my Dell Inspiron last year, which worked like a charm. The problem was that I couldn't get my current shared Internet connection (a dial-up on this PC) to work at all. Nothing I could figure out would get me to the 'Net on any other PC but this one, which, again, is directly connected to the Internet.

Is there a way I can make this work with what I have? I have 28 Days to try to make it work, then it's back to the store for the Wireless PC Card and the Wireless AP/Router/Switch.

Suggestions please........

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Paul,

what you want to do is doable. What OSs are you running? do you have fixed IP addresses or are you using DHCP (if so, are you using the DHCP services of the router or of the PC with the internet connection)?

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

4. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Yes, you should get a router that has either a built in modem or a serial port so you could add one. Now that the Airport Extreme is down to $200, its a great deal. 802.11g too.

I personally use an SMC unit that works great. It has a serial port on the back that I can connect an external modem to.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Actually the Airport Extreme base station is $249 if you want the modem capability, but it's still a good deal compared to its predecessor.

6. Paul E. Fox II

First off, thanks for the replies. Here's my situation...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am unable to get any sort of Broadband connection...no Cable Modem, no DSL. The only way I can connect to the internet is through a Dial Up on my main desktop.

I have Windows XP Professional on all the PCs in the house at this point. My desktop is the gateway, with the other two PCs in that room connected to it via Cat5.

I'm using DHCP supplied by my ISP.

When I use the Wireless Router, I can access all the other PCs on the Network with no problem. I cannot figure out how to access the shared Internet Connection on ANYTHING other than the Main Desktop.

Now, it may seem silly to use a Dial-Up with this equipment but that's what I have available at the moment and Satellite Broadband in not a consideration at this time. I have another computer in my Oldest two sons' room that I want to be able to access wirelessly at this time AND allow him to access the Internet on sites that I have approved, PLUS my Notebook has a wireless PC card that I'd like to be able to use on the Network in rooms other than physically WIRED rooms, thus the wireless connectivity and Internet Connection Sharing concern.

Also, I already know about the bandwidth problem involved with Dial-Up internet on a shared connection, but I'm just going to have to live with that for the moment.

Now, can I make this thing work or do I need to get something else?

Again, thanks for all the help so far!

7. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Ditch the PC as gateway concept. You have too many issues with Windows which is dictating your connectivity. Keep it simple, do the dial up and the protocol routing with a dedicated piece of hardware.

Use your wireless router as the gateway, assuming it has a serial port to connect a modem to it. If it doesn't, buy a new one.

Or you could fool with windows and hope it works.

8. Paul E. Fox II

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

I was able to get it to work by disabling DHCP in the router and using DHCP in my Desktop. After running the Network Setup Wizard again and the re-booting all the other PCs on the Network, everything worked famously[​IMG]!

Patrick,

Yeah, I know it's buggy, but for now it works. I'll have to ride out this round of "Why did you spend money" from my S.O. before making any other requests[​IMG]!