What's new

Networking help (1 Viewer)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get file sharing to work between my desktop PC (wired ethernet) and iBook (wireless). I've managed to build myself a pretty convoluted network and no one from tech support of the different products that I'm using can seem to figure out a solution.

I'm on DSL and my DSL modem is hooked up to my Linksys 4-port router (IP: 192.168.1.1). One of the ports of the router goes to my Vonage box (IP: 192.168.1.100) which then goes to my desktop PC (IP: 192.168.102.100). Another port of the router goes to a D-Link wireless access point (IP: 192.168.1.30). I use an iBook (IP: 192.168.1.101) to connect wirelessly to the D-Link access point.

I can ping all of my devices from my PC (Linksys router, Vonage box, D-Link access point & iBook). However, I can't ping my desktop from my iBook (everything else I can ping). Internet works fine on both the desktop and the iBook.

I know this isn't a hard-core networking forum but I'm hoping one of you would know how to go about getting my network up and running....

MikeSelis

Auditioning
I might be wrong on this one, but the iBook might be confused by a firewall installed on the desktop... Can you connect to the internet from the iBook?

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
That was my first suspect but the iBook still can't ping my desktop even with ZoneAlarm switched off. The iBook and the desktop share the Linksys router and the iBook connects to the internet with no problem.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I don't know how the Vonage box works, but it seems to be acting like a router, with everything behind it on its own subnet: .102.* instead of .1.* The WAP is just distributing addresses from the router. The PC can see downstream into the .1.* subnet, where everything else is. But the iBook cannot see upstream past the Vonage. So you might try:

- Connect the WAP to the Vonage, so that everything is behind .102.*

- Configure the Vonage to not create its own subnet (acting more like the WAP)

- Configure the Vonage to create a pass-through to the PC for the particular ports you want, like making a computer accessible through a router to the internet. Probably a lot of hassle.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I took the Vonage box out of the network and connected the desktop directly to the Linksys router and was up and networking in no time.

The Vonage box can't be configured to not create its own subnet and its subnet can't be changed from the default .102. With the way my network is laid out, it looks like the Vonage box needs to get its own port on the router. Easy enough.

Thanks for taking the time to help me analyze the problem!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks