What's new

Networking for XBLive help needed. (1 Viewer)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I'm about to sign up with a broadband ISP and get my networking hardware so I'll be set up when Xbox Live comes out, but there are some things that I'm not sure about.
Right now, I have a PC(which fortunately already has the NIC card), and I'd like to set up a network that will work for both Xbox live and XBconnect(so I can play Halo too).
What I've been able to scrounge from various threads is that I need some type of hub/router, and a few cat5 cables. However, I keep getting conflicting information as to what exactly I need. Some people say the hub works, whereas others say it doesn't. What's the cheapest solution here?
I decided to go to http://www.national-tech.com/ for the cables after "sticker shock" at Best-Buy, and they appear to have several different types: STP, UTP, Cat5-E , normal Cat5. I'm looking to do this cheaply, so what are the cheapest cables that will work?
Lastly, if anyone knows of any ISPs that have special deals running right now, or anything in particular I should look for, please post here. I have heard of certain ISPs not working with XBox Live so I need to make sure I don't sign up with one of them.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I just set up my network here at home today in anticipation of receiving my Xbox Live Beta kit on Tuesday.

I used:

Linksys BEFSR41 4-Port Cable/DSL Router
3 Lengths of CAT5 Ethernet cable (I crimped it myself)
My PC
My Xbox

I have my cable modem going into the Router (via the WAN connection, DHCP enabled, all default router settings), my PC into the first connection and my Xbox in the second.

I tried Xbox Connect this morning, and played a quick game of Halo on it. Then I installed the Xbox Live portion of the Dashboard via my NBA2K3 disc. I can't go any further than that, because I don't have my XBL account number yet.

I WAS able to automatically configure Xbox Live, and everything seems in order for Tuesday afternoon.

My Cable provider is Optimum Online / Cablevision and I get 4MB downstream and 1MB up. Really rock-solid performace and stabillity from them.

Users who are viewing this thread