networking between a Mac and PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, Recently I hooked up with cable internet. Now my mother would like me to hook her up to it as well. I know I can do this with a router, the only problem is that her computer is a mac running OS 9 and I'm running a PC using Win98SE. The one bright spot is that her computer has a ethernet card, which I would assume makes it easier to plug her into a router. The question is though, would it even be possible to network a Mac and PC and share the connection. What would I need to do this?Any settings that I would need to make sure her computer had? Also if I were to do this would I notice a significant decrease in speed on my 1Mbit connection (tested seed)? thanks.

2. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    Sharing the connection isn't a problem, but networking the two computers together (for file sharing, print sharing, etc.) will require some additional software if she's still on OS 9. If you don't want to share anything but the connection itself, all you need to do is configure the network settings in the Mac's TCP/IP control panel, and she should be set (assuming, of course, that the driver for the ethernet card is loaded. If it's onboard ethernet, chances are the drivers/extensions are already enabled).

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Macs and PCs use TCP/IP to access the internet. TCPIP is free and part of either operating system. If you get a router, just follow the directions on setting up a Mac and a PC.

File sharing is more difficult. The best thing, if possible, is to get her machine to OS X Jaguar. With X, she'll be able share files seamlessly with Windows machines (and vice versa). If sticking with 9, the only thing to do for free is to share files via FTP -or- buy some sort of file sharing software for the PC (PC Maclan) or the Mac (Thursby's Dave).

4. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Thanks for the replies and tips guys. I don't plan to share files with her just the connection. Will I notice a large decrease in speed with my 1 mbit connection by sharing it with her? That is the most important issue to me for now (not to be stingy or anything, but I like my current speed lots [​IMG].) Thanks.

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

If all she is doing is surfing the web and sending emails, it won't be noticeable. If she starts downloading multiple huge files then you will probably notice.