Networking an Imac and a PC

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob_St, May 11, 2002.

1. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Warning! This post is VERY long winded and I apologize in advance.

Hi. I have an Imac and PC (with WinME) in the same house. I use roadrunner cable internet on the imac and dial up on the PC. I am now in the process of connecting both computers to share the cable service. Roadrunner told me this is no problem I just need a hub and the RJ 45 cable for each computer. I now have the two computers and the cable modem hooked up to the hub. The Imac is connecting to the internet just fine but I'm having problems with my PC. I called Apple tech support. They say I need a router instead of a hub to make a PC/Imac cable internet connection work. I then called Roadrunner and they still say that either a Hub or a Router will work but that they cannot help any further.

My set up is as follows: The Toshiba Cable Modem is connected directly to the four port hub and the Imac and the PC's ethernet cards are connected directly to the hub as well.

Here's my question: Can I connect these two with a hub or do I need a router? My other question is do the computers really need to network to make this work? I've activated the home networking program in my PC but am afraid to mess with the networking program in the apple.

2. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

You could do both, but the hub option would require you to waste resources on the PC serving as the router.

A standalone router w/built-in hub is the best option.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

You want both computers to be able to use the cable modem at the same time right? Roadrunner was sorta right, but you probably didn't tell them you want to use both at the same time, and don't. With just what you have setup now it won't work. You only get one IP address from roadrunner (unless you pay for 2). You need a switch that functions as a dhcp server also. Just get one of those linksys or netgear broadband firewall things. They will act as a DHCP server and dish out IPs to your mac and PC. So you will plug your cable modem into the router, then your 2 computers into the router. Then you will be able to use both computers at the same time.

4. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Thank you for the responses. So I need a router witha DHCP switch and broadband firewall software?

5. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

I couldn't get an IMAC and my PC to share the same IP address because Apple sucks HORRIBLY. Their networking software is BULLSHIT and wouldn't allow the Ibook to have the same IP address as another computer on the same network, even though I wanted it to. SO you will need a router which does IPMasqing.

6. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Yes you ned a router and a hub or switch. Several companies make routers with a built-in 4 port switch or hub and that should work fine for you. That will allow you to access your high speed cable internet on both computers at the same time.

No problems here with 2 ibooks with wireless airport connections, one iMac, and 2 windows machines all connected at once.

Good luck,

Glenn

7. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Also what OS are you running on your Mac? If you have OS X you will be able to see the PC and share some files with it, like MP3s, etc...

9. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

10. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

Nevermind my last question! I bought the Linksys four port switch model and in five minutes my PC and Imac are cruising the net! Thanks for all the help! This place is a god send for computer novices like me.

11. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

When you finally get the hub/router situation settled, look into a program for the Mac called DAVE. It will allow you to easily share files between your PC and iMac, as Windows is not very cross-platform "friendly" when it comes sharing over a network. Although it is possible to do it in OS X without DAVE, it isn't exactly the easiest thing to do.

12. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I got an eval copy of DAVE a long time ago and that had to have been the buggiest piece of software I've ever seen. Now when I need to go between my mac and PC I just ftp between them. Much easier and I don't need any crazy extensions on my mac making it unstable.

13. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

The latest edition of Dave for OS X is much improved and a piece of cake to use. 1 Pref Pane for Login, 1 for Network, and 1 one for shares.

The other options are Samba and Sharity, or enter the IP of the PC in Apple's "Connect to Server" menu option as smb://blahblahblah. I switched from Sharity to Dave b/c Toast had issues with Sharity running.

14. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

15. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer