Networking a Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ari, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

I purchased my first Mac recently, a 12" iBook. My desktop is currently running on XP Pro and I've got it hooked up via ethernet to a Linksys wireless router. I have no problem getting the iBook (wireless) and my PC (ethernet) to share an internet connection. However, I'm having trouble getting them to see each other on the network.

Can someone go through what I need to do to get them able to access each other?

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ari,
    Here's what I've done to get my PC (win2k) & my powerbook to play nicely together.

On the mac, open up Applications --> Utilities --> Directory Access.
    Make sure that SMB is enabled, then with SMB selected, click the 'Configure' button. In the window that pops up, enter the name of your Windows workgroup. (the windows default is 'workgroup').

Now open up System Preferences --> Sharing.
    Turn on Windows Sharing.
    That's it, you should be good to go.

To connect to the PC from the Mac, first make sure you've shared at least one folder on the PC, then from the Finder choose Go --> Connect to Server.
    In the 'Server Address' field, type "smb://< PC's_ip_address >/". It should bring it up list of shares that you can connect to.

To connect to the Mac from the PC, just browse for it in Network Neighbourhood.

Good luck, I hope this helped!

3. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Kris,

First of all, thanks for the detailed instructions.

I've had no such luck. I followed the steps you've outlined but when I try connecting the Mac to the PC, the status bar just keeps on turning and eventually tells me that it can't connect. Browsing through the PC, the Mac doesn't show up. Any ideas?

4. Kris McLaughlin

Hmm..

You might want to try using the PC's name instead of its IP address in the "Connect to Server" box on the Mac. The PC's name is specified in its "Network Identification" tab.

My window looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Also, are you using a firewall on either machine? I run ZoneAlarm on my PC & had to add my PB's IP address to the trusted zone, or they would not connect or see each other at all.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

I will offer a suggestion.

Is the IP addressing compatible between the PC and Mac?

1) Are IP adresses and subnet masks hard coded for one or both computers?
    If so, list adresses and masks for both computers and I will make suggestions.

or

2) Are both computer's control panel network setup settings set to "obtain their IP addresses automatically" from a network address server (in this case the Linksys router)?

You network control panel settings for both computers should probably be using #2 above, with the gateway address (the IP address server) in both set to the IP address of the Linksys router (typically 192.168.1.1).

Then following Kris's suggestions above should work.

6. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys. I used a combination of your suggestions and finally got my network up and running. What would I do without HTF??

7. Kris McLaughlin

Glad you got it working. That can be so frustrating, it took me a while to get it working when I first got my Mac, too.