What's new

Networking a iBook, Dell laptop and an x-box using a router? (1 Viewer)

MichaelPR

Second Unit
So i want to run all 3 up to my cable modem using a router...is it possible to include the mac? I'm using optimum online both computer are very recent. And I purchase the X-Box live pack...not sure if this belonged here or in the video game section....here's a link to a router i was interested in http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...578&pfp=SEARCH
Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate any input you might have!

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Yeah, you can do this. Just be sure everything's set to DHCP. Shouldn't be any problem.

If you have 2 notebooks then I HIGHLY recommend getting a wireless 802.11g router. It will have the ports on the back to connect via wires if you still want to that for the X-Box, but having wireless notebooks is sweet.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Any router (including that Linksys) will work perfectly fine. Do you want to share any files between the Mac and Dell? If so, you're playing a whole different ball game. If you're just trying to have an internet connection shared between them then any router will do just fine.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Any router will be fine to network a Mac & a PC. I use a $30 (Canadian even!) wireless router (SMC barricade) with a couple Macs & PCs - works like a charm for internet sharing, file transfers, etc. I've had an Xbox on there too, no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks