1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Networked TiVo Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Voigt, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

If you have a TiVo that has a damaged modem, don't give up on it - there's probably a fix for you. There was for me.

Recently my TiVo's modem died. It was an old unit - one of the first ones, with 14hrs of recording capacity. 'Course I had modified it, adding a 120GB drive, so it has a wee bit more storage capacity now [​IMG]

I tell ya what, the TiVo gets the most usage of any component in the house. We did not want to miss this.

After research, two solutions offered themselves - replace the modem, or install a network card.

I found one, sold by the folks at 9th Tee, through the TiVoCommunity discussion boards. Ordered it from 9th Tee, and a few days later it showed up. Installed the board, hooked up the unit via LAN, and set the necessary codes.

It works flawlessly. What's more, it does not tie up a phone line this way, since I have cable modem service. It is fast, very fast.

I could go in and mod the software to allow for regular access via the LAN. It is, after all, a Linux box with a few twists. Nothing terribly difficult, by and large. But I haven't done so yet.

The $80 I paid for that LAN connection was worth every penny - kept me from having to buy a new one at 3-5 times the cost. And the folks at 9th Tee were great to deal with!

Mike

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter