What's new

Networked TiVo Player (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
If you have a TiVo that has a damaged modem, don't give up on it - there's probably a fix for you. There was for me.

Recently my TiVo's modem died. It was an old unit - one of the first ones, with 14hrs of recording capacity. 'Course I had modified it, adding a 120GB drive, so it has a wee bit more storage capacity now ;)

I tell ya what, the TiVo gets the most usage of any component in the house. We did not want to miss this.

After research, two solutions offered themselves - replace the modem, or install a network card.

I found one, sold by the folks at 9th Tee, through the TiVoCommunity discussion boards. Ordered it from 9th Tee, and a few days later it showed up. Installed the board, hooked up the unit via LAN, and set the necessary codes.

It works flawlessly. What's more, it does not tie up a phone line this way, since I have cable modem service. It is fast, very fast.

I could go in and mod the software to allow for regular access via the LAN. It is, after all, a Linux box with a few twists. Nothing terribly difficult, by and large. But I haven't done so yet.

The $80 I paid for that LAN connection was worth every penny - kept me from having to buy a new one at 3-5 times the cost. And the folks at 9th Tee were great to deal with!

Mike

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
After research, two solutions offered themselves - replace the modem, or install a network card.
There's a third option that's likely cheaper and easier for most people, and doesn't require a LAN -- external modem connected via the Tivo serial port. Details in the underground section of the www.tivocommunity.com boards. Requires Tivo software 3.0+, easier with a modem w/ NVRAM where you can disable flow control, else you'll have to wire up a special cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks