What's new

Network (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this movie is available on disc, and if so, if there's a review of it anywhere? Just saw the film and loved it, and would like to pick it up if it's available.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yes, Network is available on DVD -- I own a copy. The video transfer is not very good, IMO. I considered selling the title because of the poor video quality, but I like the film too much.
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched the DVD not too long ago for our special page of AFI Top 100 films. (Shameless self-promotion: we seem to be the only site that's reviewed ALL of the ones available on DVD! Pending a few of upcoming releases like Citizen Kane and French Connection, that is...) I concur that it was a pretty ugly transfer, and the sound was only average at best. Not many extras either, which made for a pretty blah DVD.
Here's the link to my review and to the AFI page:
http://www.dvdmg.com/network.html http://www.dvdmg.com/afi100.shtml
------------------
Colin Jacobson
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad I saw this thread. I saw Network in a B&M store for the first time...Borders...and I almost picked it up. I decided to wait, since I just sent a large donation off to Manhattan of course. With the negative info about the video quality, I'll wait for WB to revisit this title some day. I only liked the film marginally, in any case.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TwinTowers.jpg

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
It is a little dark, but then I have seen it many times on TV looking a lot worse. Its not THAT bad a transfer, considering its age, and the style of photography. Its a gritty drama with a gritty look.
Besides, the script transends the image anyway. Personally, I'd buy it now, and then pass it on as soon as you here that a SPE ED is in the works...
------------------
Link Removed

bill lopez

Second Unit
The laserdisc has a clean picture but the color is faded.
I have seen it look good on a PBS station a couple of years ago.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I would think a Special Edition would be too far down the road to wait. This was a catalogue title and those usually don't get special treatment if they didn't the first time around. The current disc is "ok" but when compared to the razor sharp discs of current films, it looks like shit. But, get it just to be able to watch Peter Finch's incredible performance any time you need some encouragement.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks