What's new

Network Storage and Streaming (1 Viewer)

vetmed

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Everyroom in my house is wired for ethernet all connected to switches in basement. I want to set up a media server that can deseminate Blue rays, pics, music to any computer connected to the network. Can i just build a computer with a lot of storage and run Winows 7 profesisonsal and have that as my "media server"? What is the benifet of having a a true server vs large capacity computer.
Will I need special network cards for each computer in my house or will the MoBo ethernet plug be sufficient?
Any chance of being able to stream/play to different computer at the same time?
As far as software goes, I would like to have a slick looking interface with my movie library. Any suggestion?
Thanks for your help.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Lots of different questions but i'll try to answer them in order.
First off, I would recommend Windows Home Server over Windows 7 - it's meant for what you're describing and will be easier to maintain. Also - it will run slightly faster as it isn't loaded with Aero and other desktop features.
As for the hardware behind the box - it really isn't a major issue. You will need a decent processor and some memory (4GB should be sufficient), and lots of hard drive space. Many users buy the SuperMicro systems and throw tons of disk inside, but you can use an ATX or Rackmount system with little difference. Make sure you buy a case that can accommodate the number of drives you need and purchase a good RAID controller.
Network cards DO make a difference, but i don't think you'll have a problem with most onboard NIC's - even with Blu-Ray ISO streaming. I'd start with the onboard NIC and then purchase a good aftermarket Intel/Broadcom if needed and you're having trouble.
One of the most affordable ways to do the whole house is with NMT's like the Dune HD http://dune-hd.com/eng/products/full_hd_media_players/15 or Popcorn Hour. If you want to use an HTPC as the endpoint, then I highly recommend MediaPortal as it' takes advantage of hardware acceleration unlike XBMC.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use a ZyXel media server NAS. I added a pair of 2GB hard drives and it stores all of my music, photos and video. All 3 are streamed to my Roku while photos and music can stream to my DirecTV DVRs.

vetmed

Auditioning
Real Name
John
What is the benefit of a server vs NAS? Would employng a NAS type system limit the sowtware I could use to organize the movies and music? I have built my last three computers but this server thing is a brand new endevor for me. As for the Dune and Popcorn hour systems, I would need one per TV?
Again thanks the info has been very helpful.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A NAS is less expensive and consumes less power. It's also less flexible. The ZyXel has dozens of other features like an HTML and FTP server built it. It can back up files to another disc in the box, an external USB or another ZyXel NAS server on your network. It can even capture RSS feeds to read from the server. It's a pretty cool little box.
Organization is easy. One folder each for music, movies & pictures. Sub-folders and file names are totally up to you. Roku and the RoxBox channel allow you to create an XML file as a front-end which will is 100% customizable if you want to use that feature.
You will need one player per TV if that is what you want. I've seen some players for as low as $39.99 at Wal-Mart. I think it was a Western Digital.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
When a computer is functioning as a server, it just means that it is optimized for file transfer (a file server) or program execution (an application server). In both cases it's at the expense of desktop application performance. So yes, any computer can be a server.
A NAS goes one step further and just provides disk and network applications. This means that instead of not being configured for desktop applications, there is no support for it at all. To access a NAS (for configuration and such) you usually use an http/browser interface.
I use a NAS for music streaming from my receiver, and for movie streaming from my BR players. Music streaming performs excellently; however, while my movie steaming works adequately, I have limited functionality (for instance, I can't stream ISOs). From what I've read since I set it up, there's a lot more flexibility if you use a HTPC as a media streamer.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From what I've read since I set it up, there's a lot more flexibility if you use a HTPC as a media streamer.
Like on the fly video conversion.
On the other hand, there is software that will easily convert your library to whatever format is needed by the player. For example, I keep all of my music in Windows Media Audio (WMA) lossless format for streaming to my home theater system. I have a second folder that is in a slightly different organization style and it is in WMA 320kbps so I can transfer music to my cars and smart phones. Both of my cars have Pioneer head units that read SD cards. This conversion is handled on my more powerful desktop PC but I do the transfer of audio usually on my laptop.
There is no one best option. You will have to determine what works for you and go that route. Be prepared to change later because it always happens. New technology will come around and we all have to make some type of change to use it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I am probably in the minority here, but I don't think NAS technology is a good fit for streaming Bluray unless you buy a higher end unit. I have a synology at home and it's just a lot slower than the server. If you plan to stream large iso files or to multiple endpoints simultaneously, most affordable NAS units will not be able to keep up.
It is also important to have a decent switch to handle that throughput, as many routers or cheaper switch units can cause streaming issues.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I am probably in the minority here, but I don't think NAS technology is a good fit for streaming Bluray unless you buy a higher end unit.
I never have any dropouts; but I only use mine for DVDs (VOBs) and music (FLACs), so file size may make a difference. On the other hand I have a very low end ReadyNAS Duo, so you'd think I'd see problem if they were prone to it.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Keep in mind that the data rates required for streaming a 45GB Blu-Ray ISO and a 5-6GB DVD ISO are dramatically different. My NAS can handle DVD no problem - but Blu-Ray is another story. Again - my NAS is also pretty low end. I suspect that a higher end NAS (about the same price as a cheap server) would perform better, but at then why bother when you could have a functional server instead?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
If your NAS is transcoding, it's probably struggling a little - this is pretty common given their tiny CPU's. I do know that when I moved my NAS from a small switch to a enterprise class switch - my transfer speeds went from 8MB/s to 35MB/s. Lots of factors :)

vetmed

Auditioning
Real Name
John
So there will be no need to stream to multiple sources so I think I will just canabalize a mid range PC and turn that into the storage PC and use it for HTPC for theater room. The question i have is, do I need a the speed of RAID for streaming, data loss not withstanding? If I do decide on setting up RAID storage, what do you think about unRAID vs Software RAID vs RAID card?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a really dumb question...
IF "networking the house" is not needed, why set up your comp as a server?
Just connect the PC to the AVR via HDMI and be done with it...

pkrfan

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
You might want to check out this forum on HTPCs. It covers every aspect on this topic.
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers
I currently have a HTPC with an external hard disk for data storage. I plan on building a server eventually when I have the opportunity. For the time being I just run HDMI to my receiver and bit stream the audio. My CPU is an old dual core Athlon II 245 from 4 years ago and an ATI HD6450 video card. I use XBMC as my front and it supports DTS-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. For video it does support DXVA for hardware acceleration and plays blue-rays without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks