What's new

Network shows in Dolby 5.1- reviews? (1 Viewer)

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Grady
I did a search for this and didn't find anything. Are there any websites out there that give reviews for shows that broadcast in 5.1? I'm just looking for what network (or cable) shows that have the best sound mixes. I assume a show like "24" would sound good with active, split surrounds and good bass (or am I assuming wrong).

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend these shows for good 5.1 sound:

CSI (any)
Lost
Jericho

Those are just ones I've watched; I'm sure there are others.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't ever hear much surround activity during LOST, but the CSI's (especially the original show's theme 'Who Are You') are great in 5.1.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad that Lost doesn't showoff with the surrounds. However, when the 'right' stuff is happening on screen, Lost and especially 24 are good examples of good 5.1 soundtracks.

And like Nicholas said, the theme to CSI sounds awesome. :)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Specific scenes in Heroes that I can think of that I don't want to go into details for anyone who hasn't watched the show, sound great in 5.1 as well.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

I'd love to hear the whole song that way, but can't because I don't have that $40 The Who DVD it's on.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
In general I haven't been wowed by most shows broadcasting in 5.1. I'm guessing the the rapid pace of post production combined with likely a small portion of the viewing audience using the 5.1 feed means that the focus is primarily on a two channel mix.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You know, for a short commercial, I've been impressed with the 5.1 mix on the Visa "Downtown" commercial. Speaking of commercial audio though, it bugs me how much louder they mix the audio for commercials than they do for shows.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Yeah, I knew that already but was just simplifying, I realize that its just that they make the volume of the commercials constantly the volume of the peak volume of the shows. It still bugs me though, and makes me NOT want to buy any of the products in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks