Network ready Onkyo Tx NR901 - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Paul Fa, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

I really like the idea of using my pc as a musical jukebox for input to a HTS. I have been considering other AVR's in this $1-1.5K price range including the Denon 3803 and the Pioneer 45/53/55 models, but wish they were network compatable. I think having the artist/title/etc. show up on the Onkyo 901/801 AVR's from the pc is great. Can anyone weigh in with their reviews of these receivers and these features? How do Onkyo's compare otherwise to the other two manufacturers above - build quality, musicallity, features, reliability etc.???

2. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I don't have any hands on experience with the newer model Onkyos like the 801/901, but the specs look good and, like you, I find the Net-Tune feature intriguing. In general, I don't think there are any concerns as far as build quality and reliability. Also, Onkyo has always more than held their own when it comes to features. I used to own a 787 and it served me well, no complaints.

3. Paul Fa

Paul Fa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input Heath. Anyone else like to contribute some opinions on using PC's as musical jukeboxes for a HTS? On Onkyo's in general? I read a review on another forum that seemed to indicate the Net-tune feature and other features on the NR901 didn't work so well - especially the way the remote/AVR was designed when switching sources - do you think that's accurate? What's your opinion on whether the next generation of AVR's from Denon and Pioneer will also support Ethernet connectivity? C'mon folks, I know that the members of this board are rarely shy or without some pretty strong opinions on new technology!![​IMG]