Network Connectivity??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gerald LaFrance, May 23, 2006.

1. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Hi I was reading up on the HD-DVD Player and it said this "Network compatible with a built-in 10/100 Mbps Ethernet port" What will this be used for I would imagine Firmware upgrades but what else??

THNX
    -Gerald

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Some future HD-DVD releases will have extra features that will use the ethernet connection. Universal has been talking about a feature on the upcoming Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift that would allow one to select different colors for some of the cars and be able to play the entire movie with these cars colors altered to your choice. I would imagine it could also be used for additional commentary or language tracks--the commentary or whatever would stream off the ethernet connection and thus not have to take up room on the disc itself. Potentially new commentaries for a title could be made available from time to time after it's release.

It's my understanding that BluRay machines will also have this connectivity, but I could be wrong.

3. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    GREAT THNX for the info. I just put a Ethernet plug in my HT for a HTPC but looks like I'll be getting a hub so I can use both the HD DVD Player and HTPC. well instead of sitting here goofing off I'd better get back in there to put up the rest of the Drywall [​IMG]

-Gerald