Network Admins - good backup software?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_R, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

To my fellow Network guys,

I have a small side job in the city that needs its backup system revamped. They're currently using Microsoft Backup(!!!) I want to upgrade them to something more robust. How about ArcServe? How's Backup Exec??

I had some experience at my old job with Arcserve on our Netware boxes and it worked like a charm, and had a easy to use interface. At my current job, we're using Legato, but we're a huge worldwide shop with Compaq Enterprise ESL9000's, multiple sites, etc. I think it would be an overkill in this situation...

All I need is a simple to use NT 4.0 backup program that costs under $700 and will run on just one server. Suggestions??

Thanks!

Matt

2. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I have used both Arcserve and Legato where I am currently working. For what we are doing (multiple sites/OS/clients) Legato is a much more stable (and expensive/complex) product.

If you are just backing up a couple of servers and a handful of workstations then Arcserve will work fine. It has a nice interface to it and it is pretty easy to set up and maintain. Depending on your needs I think that it will cost you more than $700.

Laters,

3. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

I used to do NT support for Microsoft, and it seemed that almost every backup program used was either ArcServe or Backup Exec, with Backup Exec being slightly the more popular of the two.

I don't know how much they cost, though.

4. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the suggestion. The owner is hoping to get it for under $700... But if it's a little more, I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Me personally, I wouldn't SKIMP on the backups... been there done that. Until you lose data, you never get it.

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

To quote from Jay and Silent Bob, Arcserve takes much ass-cock in the mouth!

Backup exec is a wonderful thing, especially if you have a tape vault. Legato might be overkill for your needs.

6. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

If the network is only NT/2000, Backup Exec would be my choice. Very intuitive to master.

For a combo NT/Netware shop, Arcserve does a better job with the NDS files.

At my current job, we have ~450 Intel,~50 HP 9000 servers, plus a mainframe. We use Veritas NetBackup which is flawless on Unix, but leaves a LOT to be desired for Netware and NT. Flat file restores are fine, but NDS and NT/2000 system state restores are successful only after much heartbreak.

If the client squawks about cost, your backup scheme should be ~30% of total system cost. Quite an ROI when your server crashes and you can restore in hours vs. days.

Good Luck

7. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

We use Backup Exec on our fully NT system. Never had a problem with it. We had one catastrophic failure a while back and were able to do a full restore in hours.....nobody has complained about backup costs since.

8. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

Matt_R: I am a network admin for about 150 computers, and we do about 30GB of backup nightly to one particular machine using Dantz Retrospect. It is in your price range, and it is VERY good and easy to use.
    EDIT: oh yeah: http://www.dantz.com

9. Jason Hamilton

Jason Hamilton Auditioning

I'm a systems engineer that works primarily with MS products. I've had WAY too much experience with a variety of backup products, ArcServe, BackupExec, Veritas, and NTBackup (which is actually a sort of BackupExec lite). We implement servers for small to medium sized businesses (~50 users) and we always use NTBackup.

This fits your profile, as this is only for a single server. There's really no need to lay out the extra cash for ArcServe (which runs great in a Novell environment but can be a righteous bitch in the NT world) when there's no need for several servers to be backed up.

Saving the customer money is what builds repeat business.