Netscape 7 just won't get rid of Flash from memory

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Jun 8, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I am running Netscape 7.02 in WinXP and I can't get the browser to let go of the Flash movie from memory.

Here's the deal. I have a web site which uses a Flash movie as an opening. I uploaded my Flash movie and it plays fine in my web page, but when I change my Flash movie and upload the new version, Netscape won't update the movie (i.e. It keeps playing the old version).

What I've done:
    -I tried clearing the Disk Cache AND the Memory Chace and that didn't fix it.
    -I then tried closing the app and restarting it, then cleaning both caches and that doesn't fix it.
    -I then restarted my computer, deleted the cache and reloaded the web page and that didn't fix it.
    -I then found my cache folder (on my hard drive) and manually deleted every file from my cache and that didn't fix it.

Now here's the kicker. I then deleted the file from the web site completely...Then I typed in the exact URL location to the file I just deleted and IT STILL PLAYED!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This proves that the file is somewhere on my computer, but I can't figure it out. My cache is completely deleted, the file is off of my web site and I completely deleted any instance of the Flash file from my computer, I type in the URL location and IT STILL PLAYS!!!

The only way I was able to update it was to actually rename the file. How annoying!

Has this happened to anyone else?

p.s. Unless my service provider is still caching the file somehow? Here is the URL, does it work for you?
    http://cafeteriab.com/beta/CafeBLogo.swf

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I get a file "not found error", but a few pop ups --- how fun!

Brent

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

4. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Well, first of all, shockwave files end in ".swf", so if you do a search on your system for "*.swf" it'll show you every shockwave file you have. It may be cached in a different directory.

Also, when you go to the webpage in Netscape, hold SHIFT and hit reload. This forces the browser to reload the entire webpage and NOT use cache.
    Now my memory may be off, so they key you hold might be CTRL instead, but I think it's Shift.

Jonny K. [​IMG]

5. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

repost

6. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

repost.