Netscape 6.2/I.E. pop up problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_W, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

I am currently using netscape v.6.2 and I am having problems with Internet Explorer launching pop ups. I don't use Explorer at all. Is there a way I can stop the pop ups. It is really annoying. Perhaps a way to disable Explorer. The problems seems very random but it has gotten worse lately for whatever reason. I am running ME. Thanks

2. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

This is wierd, does it just happen wihtout doing anything or is it when you are browsing with Netscape or doing something else? Is Netscape set as your default browser? Are you running Kazaa or Morpheus, those launch popups.

3. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

The pop ups occur when I am surfing using Netscape. I do have Kazaa installed but I don't use it. Should I try deleting it? I assume when you talk about default you mean setting Netscape as the browser in control panel/internet options/programs. Right? Thanks for the reply

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You have spyware on your system. Download AdAware (do a web search for it) and use that to remove it.

Some spyware/adware pops up ads using IE or IE lookalike windows, so if you get IE windows when you're not using IE then that's a good indication that you're "infected".

KJP

5. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

Well Kevin I did what you said and spyware must have been part of the problem, but I still have some pop ups appearing. I downloaded AdAware and removed a lot of spyware files, over 50 related files. However, before the ads would take about ten minutes to pop up and fully load they are now loading right away.