Netflix's TV series discs

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ron Lee Green, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Ron Lee Green

Ron Lee Green Supporting Actor

I rented the Adam-12 series disc 4 from Netflix, the dvd mail-order rental service. I had read earlier that the Adam-12 dvds put out by Universal Studios were double-sided, so I thought I'd be getting the same thing, so imagine my surprise when what arrived in my mailbox was a single-sided dvd with professional-looking disc art that said Adam-12 Season 1; Disc 4; with Universal logo and copywright information.
    I had no idea that Universal was putting out 2 different versions of their TV series: single-sided and double-sided discs. I know a lot of consumers wish Universal would only used single-sided discs--especially with all the troubles the double-sided discs have with skipping and freezing. Do they only do this for rental stores? Did anybody else know this?

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Ron, Yes -- it's been discussed here many times before. It's done at the request (demand) of Netflix and Blockbuster. They complained that the DVD-18 offered too much content. Basically, a DVD-18 of a TV show can be equivalent to four movies worth of running time. They can then get six rentals from what would otherwise be a three-disc set, thereby doubling their revenue. Other, smaller video chains aren't offered the same rental versions, and must deal with the regular retail, more fragile, defect-prone DVD-18s.

Most of the studios supply Netflix and Blockbuster with their DVDs on a rental-revenue-sharing basis. These "custom", shorter-length, single-sided DVDs require more rental transactions to view a complete season set. The more rental transactions it takes to view a set -- the more revenue the studios and Netflix earn.

Meanwhile, we lowly consumers who would rather purchase these shows are rewarded with the never-ending hassle of DVD-18s. It just seems foolish that the studios (mainly Universal) don't just manufacture one type of disc to accommodate both markets -- preferably DVD-9s.

3. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

I recently received "The Time Tunnel" series from Netflix. All the discs that I got were in DVD-18 format.
    Wonder if they've changed their policy?

4. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Not every studio supplies them with every title in non-DVD-18 form. I'd guess that titles with lesser demand wouldn't warrant the manufacturing of exclusive discs, since they wouldn't need as many copies. The cost of manufacturing a special run of a title like this may not be offset by the revenue earned from the rentals of the additional discs.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

When I put Silk Stalkings S4 into my Netflix queue, they listed 3 discs with ~8 episodes per disc. Not a high runner series, I assume. I can't recall getting any other TV shows from Netflix that were double-sided. I'm also amazed at the low rate of disc failures on Netflix discs I have received, given all the visible scratches that can be seen on them. Hopefully there will be no problems with Silk Stalkings S4.

Doug

6. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

Doug

It's interesting that you mention that Netflix DVD's play so well. That's true for the most part, although I have to admit that I've gotten one or two from them that I had to return for a replacement. That said, the DVD-18's of "The Time Tunnel" that Netflix sent me played flawlessly.