Netflix vs. RentMyDVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Qui-Gon John, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well I just cancelled my Netflix yesterday. Some problems:
    1. They kept not having movies I wanted.
    2. Even when I choose RENT and they say it's available, it was taking 3-4 days before they even shipped it. It would sit in the "Released for Shipping" staus for days. When I first signed up, if I chose RENT in the morning, the DVD shipped the same day. [​IMG]
    I just signed up a 2-out membership with RentMyDVD so I'll see how that goes. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Qui-Gon John

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Your experience with Netflix echoes mine. So far, I've been much happier with RentMyDVD. Of course, it helps that I live in the immediate vicinity of their East Coast warehouse. [​IMG]
    M.

3. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

So far, so good. I signed up with RMD yesterday, they immediately opened my account, I requested 2 DVD's and I got an email yesterday evening that they are on the way. When I signed up w/Netflix, they had some problem processing my Credit Card and my first movies didn't ship until like the 3rd or 4th day I was a member.
    Question, with RMD, if you have only 1 DVD in your queue do they send it out or wait until you have 2?
    Thanks,
    John
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Qui-Gon John

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It sounds like you're on the 2-at-a-time plan. On the 4-at-a-time, they send out a new disc every time one is returned.
    My initial shipment also was sent in groups of 2. I think that's just the way they start you out.
    M.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I also just signed up with RentMyDVD yesterday. For now, I am just going with the "pay as you go" option instead of a monthly membership -- I still mostly buy vs. rent, but wanted to rent a few titles to complete my AFI 100 list. At $9.25 for two titles, it's about the same price as BallBuster, but a lot more convenient and with a bigger selection.
    Does anyone know if RentMyDVD is affiliated with SellMyDVDs.com? I have sold quite a few discs to them, and always assumed that company then rented them out through RentMyDVD.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 10

6. Michael Knieriemen

I switched a few days ago from Netflix to RentmyDVD for the same reasons echoed here.
    I had about 15 "Long Wait" titles in my queue on Netflix for almost six months. Transfering the queue to RentmyDVD showed only a handful out of stock.
    I hope RentmyDVD can keep up with all of the new business they'll be getting from Netflix.
    So far I'm satisfied. Now only if I could put pre-releases in my Wish List......

7. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

I mailed a couple of rentmydvd.com discs back last Saturday; they were received and the new ones shipped out on Monday. That's the fastest turnaround I've ever received on a rental disc!
    RD

8. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

9. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

However, they don't always stock the titles that are listed as pre-releases (or as they term it Coming). I've had Zardoz, The Thing With Two Heads, and Candy in my queue since I joined. When I first joined, they were listed as Coming, now they are listed as Not Available. I e-mailed their customer support and they told me they were backordered from the distributor. But Zardoz was released in March!!! I can't imagine that it's been back ordered for over 3 months now.
    --adrian

10. Michael Knieriemen