NetFlix vs. RentMyDVD vs. ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Wesnor, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

Forgive me if this is the wrong forum...

Last year, when Netflix never had any movies in stock - not even mediocre catalog titles - I dumped them for RentMyDVD. About 4-5 months ago, it started taking forever to get new releases, and now, just like Netflix a year ago, they can't even find a way to ship me catalog titles.

So I was wondering how Netflix was doing these days, or if there was another service that was better.

2. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I hear you, Dan. It seems that online DVD rental services are like restaurants...they start out great and rapidly go downhill. I've tried Netflix and I've tried RentMyDVD and they both got to the point where I'd have only one or two titles available out of a large queue. I'm now checking out DVDBarn, but so far they seem to be the same as anybody else. I understand that there is no way to estimate the demand for a movie, and that if you stock hundreds of copies you'll have many more than you need once a movie is no longer a new release. I should probably just give up on the idea of finding a DVD rental source that is worthwhile, but the local (Huntsville, AL) DVD rental situation is rather deplorable - and I'm certain Madison, AL is no better. I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread, as I have yet to find a DVD rental service that is worth staying in.

Steve K.

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

UGH! I am so glad someone else is having this problem. I love rentmydvd.com, but lately, I've been thinking about writing them and asking that they refund my monthly for the time it takes between even catalog title rentals. I don't get it. How many other people want to rent CLAY PIDGEONS?! It's getting very frustrating.

MC

4. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I've posted several threads on this very topic in the past (including this one that breaks down all the ones I've tried)...and I'm almost at my wits end.
    I've tried Netflix, RentMyDVD, DVDBarn, Numberslate (which I just dropped) and now, as of last week, I'm checking out QwikFliks (http://www.qwikfliks.com). I will give my full report on QwikFliks when I have more experience with them, but so far I will say that new release availibility seems to be better than the others. When I signed up, I placed about 25 titles in my queue (all either new releases or not-yet released), and 4 of the top 5 titles in my queue shipped the next day. So I'm sure it will end up just like all the others, but it's a good start. My only initial complaint with QwikFliks is that there is no ability to mark a title "delayed" in the mail. I even emailed customer service about this and they said there are no plans in the future for this. [​IMG]

5. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I would actually recommend giving Netflix another chance. In the last three months, the percentage of titles in my queue having a "short wait" or "long wait" went from 50% to less than 2% (3 titles out of 170). I don't know if they dramatically increased their inventory or got a new warehouse online, but whatever it is, it seems to be working.
    I don't know if turnaround time has improved however, because I'm only twenty minutes from their distribution center. [​IMG]

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I've been having problems with RentMyDvd too. I have had Cadence on my queue for at least 4 months and still haven;t gotten it. I have also had Deliverance on there for a couple months and have not gotten that either, as well as The Evening Star for just over a month now. I can't belieive these titls are in such high demand. It's too late for me to cancel this month, so I'm going to give them one more month to see if they improve. If not, I think they're getting the ax. Also, it doesn't seem like the additional locations they were touting a year ago are actually going to happen. they had talked about locations in Atlanta, Seattle, Chicago and Denver, amybe even a couple others, I can't recall exactly.

7. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

8. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Hey look, I got some customer service response from rentmydvd.com...

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Micah- During the time I "subscribed" to RentMyDVD, I always found their customer service to be superior, and they were always very prompt to answer inquiries. However, it got to the point where only a very small percentage of titles listed in my queue showed as being available, so it just wasn't worth sticking with them, regardless of how good their customer service was. My queue also consisted mostly of catalog titles, and I also found it difficult to believe that they were high demand titles. So I ended up dropping my subscription with them. Hopefully your experience will be better.

Steve K.