Netflix to start offering downloadable movies in 2005

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott L, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Saw this posting in the videogame forum, thought I'd bring the info here.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/05/news...oads/index.htm

First iTunes makes downloading music legal, user-friendly, while keeping the studios happy, and now it looks like Netflix is doing it for movies. Sounds good to me! [​IMG]

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Eh.. somehow, this sounds DiVX-esque to me ;( I'll wait and see.. with so many formats trying to battle it out in that timeframe (HD-DVD/BluRay) it'll be interesting to see what kind of compression you'd get, because downloading a DVD, even over a 3MB connection, would be take a good while. And then you'd have to have a burner.. or watch on your PC? Eh.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I was hoping they'd research providing the movies in WM9 with DRM to save bandwidth. I was guessing the market for this would be those who have HTPCs or those don't have a decent enough system and wouldn't mind watching a movie on their PC.

4. Anthony R

Anthony R Stunt Coordinator

I think there is probably some demand for this such as college students. A large selection of hard-to-find titles would help tremendously.

I'd also say one big potential threat would be the current video-on-demand, especially if the selection increases and it acheives DVD quality.