Netflix Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Wolters, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I am thinking about signing up with netflix. Anyone here done this? What are the pros and what are the cons? I typically rent 3 DVD's every Friday. They are five day rentals. Knowing this will this work for me? We typically only watch DVD's on the weekend.

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

Jason-

your profile doesn't give me any geographic clue.

Generally, Netflix is great on the West Coast, so-so the farther east you go because of postal turnaround times. (They are supposed to open East Coast stations this year, but I don't know when or where.) If you only watch on the weekends, that may still be OK.

I like the selection and the convenience of the self-mailer. Since I'm in the SF Bay Area, my turnaround times are usually terrific too - often only 2 days. That means I often average a rental cost of less than $2/disc/month, which a great bargain in my book, given the range of selection and the return convenience.

I could work on the AFI 100 list challenge over the past year+ because Netflix carries all the old classics - most local rental places don't.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I like Netflix. It works for me cause I can't always watch a movie when I want and Netflix lets you keep a movie for many weeks if necessary.

Try it and see if you like it.

5. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I think we need to increase the size of the SEARCH button by about 500%.

6. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

I use both Netflix and rentmydvd. Netflix is slow but has a great selection. Rentmydvd has better service. Both are far better han Blockbuster. There are two others out there, DVD Barn and Netslate. I haven't tried. See this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=28357
    Best regards-Henry