What's new

Netflix signs with Fox and Universal, for 28-day BD delay... (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Per High-Def Digest, Netflix has signed an additional deal with Fox and Universal, to add their BD releases to the 28-day delay program. Deal gives Netflix added streaming content. Link, below.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Fox/Netflix/Universal/Netflix_Signs_with_Fox_and_Universal__Adds_28_Day_Blu-ray_Delay/4527

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Well, it's good for streaming, but bad for rentals. I can see why the studios would want this. But, honestly, it really isn't going to effect me too much. I don't mind waiting an extra month to see something. For that matter, I usually end up waiting at least that long anyway as I work my way through my queue. I have plenty of things to watch in the mean time. My queue is over 200 titles as it is.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm close to canceling netflix. I don't like this. My neighbor has the Sony PS3 is it? He's shown me streaming from netflix on his HD screen. At least half the movies he browsed thru were not available in HD. The HD he showed me was hardly better than SD. At the moment, based on that experience, I don't see Netflix streaming as a good alternative.

You know, it's bad enough seeing all the long wait, very long wait, and "forgedda 'bout it" in the que. I'm not paying $15+ a month just so they can add another 30 days to the wait.

I personally see this as degrading their service. But that's just MHO.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
This doesn't bother me. If I really want to see something I'll go to the theater. If I don't mind missing the theater and waiting four months, an additional 28-days isn't going to kill me.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I'm not much of a fan of streaming either. I tried it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. Bandwidth just isn't even close yet to get decent quality. I much prefer seeing it on Blu-Ray (and with the special features), then on less than DVD quality streaming.

For the average Joe, streaming is fine as they don't care much about image quality in the first place.

As for the delay. Big deal. There are plenty of things to watch to keep me busy in the mean time.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
When it comes to rentals my picture quality barometer is much, much lower. Thereby, streaming to the PS3 (or on my computer) is an acceptable alternative. If I like the film enough I will then purchase the best quality DVD/Blu-ray. Add to it that I rarely rent new releases, especially early on, and these deals don't really effect me at all.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Bill Buklis

I'm not much of a fan of streaming either. I tried it a couple of times and I wasn't impressed. Bandwidth just isn't even close yet to get decent quality. I much prefer seeing it on Blu-Ray (and with the special features), then on less than DVD quality streaming.

For the average Joe, streaming is fine as they don't care much about image quality in the first place.

As for the delay. Big deal. There are plenty of things to watch to keep me busy in the mean time.
To me the HD streaming on Netflix is far superior to a standard def DVD.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Well sure, its only 720p at this point. Soon it is supposed to be 1080p.

Doug

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
I didn't know they had any HD streaming content. Of course, it has been a while since I last actually tried and it may also have been my selection, but so far I'd only seen less than DVD quality.

I find it hard to believe it could ever (at least not any time soon) get to Blu-Ray quality. At 1080p the bandwidth requirements would be incredible. I'm sure the compression rate is a lot higher than on disc. Still, I wouldn't mind it to catch up on some TV content I may have missed from first airing.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Bill Buklis

I didn't know they had any HD streaming content. Of course, it has been a while since I last actually tried and it may also have been my selection, but so far I'd only seen less than DVD quality.

I find it hard to believe it could ever (at least not any time soon) get to Blu-Ray quality. At 1080p the bandwidth requirements would be incredible. I'm sure the compression rate is a lot higher than on disc. Still, I wouldn't mind it to catch up on some TV content I may have missed from first airing.
You'd be surprised how low the bit rate can go with a modern codec (VC-1 or AVC) and still maintain quality. I've encoded some stuff I've shot around 8 mb and it is almost indistinguishable from the same material encoded at 25 mb

I'm not sure you get HD content streaming on the computer, but you do on the PS3 and X-Box 360.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks