1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix Series - Stranger Things 3 - July 4, 2019

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Mar 2, 2018.

?

Should Will Byers get a break in Season 3?

1. Yes! The poor boy has been through enough.

80.0%
  2. No! Suffering gives Will Byers's existence meaning.

20.0%
  1. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    As a man, I went thru that period blissfully unaware of sexism in the work place so I can’t tell you from experience that the portrayal of the Busey people are accurate, but I suspect it’s much closer to the truth than I would like.

DaveF, Sam Favate and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  2. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Johnny, I understand the sexism. That is not what stood out to me. It was the ham-fisted horrible acting style. It just does not fit in with the rest of the show. Same with the little sister, Erica.

Johnny Angell and benbess like this.
  3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I'm halfway through Season 4 and enjoying it tremendously. There are so many references to films from the 80s. Most prevalent are Aliens and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (technically a 70s film). I like the attention to detail such that even the comic books the kids read are time-specific.

Sean Bryan and Tino like this.
  4. NeilO

NeilO Producer

One thing I was confused about was the identity of some of the older men. Was missing lifeguard Heather's father one of the people in the Hawkins Post? If not, do we know how the newsmen got infected?

I was watching episode 1 on the 4th. 2 on the 6th. 3 on the 7th. 4 on the 8th. Then yesterday I watched episode 5 in the morning and had to watch 6 and 7 last night (with some All-Star Game in between and after episodes). This morning I only had time to watch until the logical stopping point. I am looking forward to the coda tonight.

Is there another set of interviews with the cast like last season?

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    What can I say about season 3? Stranger Things isn’t the greatest or my favorite series. But I’ve grown to love it from the first season. I love the nostalgia, the positive themes of friendship. I love that it’s a show that everyone watches and evokes a bit of that lost ‘80s and ‘90s tv event feel.

And because I can have conversations like this with a friend I’ve known since third grade, growing up in Hawkins, Ind. (Angel is my wife from north central Indiana.)

CE9B4102-D026-4D0D-A485-6AE6F90D751F.

Tino and Greg.K like this.
  6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Heather's father was the editor at the Hawkins Post. He fired Jonathan and Nancy the day after the Mind Flayer took him over. If you watch the scene where he fires them, you can see a bandage over the spot where Heather whacked him over the head with the wine bottle.

7. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I thought that might be the case, but wasn't sure. Thanks for verifying that.

One strange music thing at the end of finale. For some reason they play Peter Gabriel's 2010 cover version of David Bowie's "Heroes" instead of the real thing. Apparently, they also used it before in episode three of the first season. Maybe it is just me, but hearing music not really from the time just stuck out like a sore thumb.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Most of the popular music in "Stranger Things" is diegetic -- actually playing in the scene, and experienced by the characters. That music, to the best of my knowledge, has always been period-appropriate.

Peter Gabriel's cover of "Heroes" is an exception, both times. It's integrated into the score. The first time, in season one, the authorities pulled the fake Will Byers corpse from the quarry. The second time, in season three, Jim Hopper appeared to have sacrificed himself in the underground Soviet facility.

The use of that specific version of that specific song is a big reason that I don't think Hopper is dead.

NeilO likes this.
  9. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    They played the same version of Heroes during season 1 of the show.

10. Message #130 of 146 Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    NeilO

NeilO Producer

As amusing as the scene is where Dustin sings to Suzie in order to get the correct value of Planck's constant from her, I was wondering later on whether anyone should have told Dustin the apparent cost paid by delaying that information. The guilt probably would have been devastating.

Hopper and Joyce would have turned the keys earlier. So, Hopper's fate might have been different. Of course, Grigori might have killed them both out of spite at this point. Billy might not have died while fending off the beast. It may have collapsed before killing him.

11. Jim517

Jim517 Second Unit

Jim
    I thought Season 3 was a big letdown from the first 2 seasons

12. questrider

questrider Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Brian

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I will finish Season 3 tonight, and i have been enjoying it a lot. It's the funniest of the three seasons, and it has the most references to 80s movies and TV.

But I have been thinking about the model that Netflix has for this and its other shows, and I don't think it works. By presenting an entire season at the same time, Netflix is limiting its exposure and marketing opportunities. Chatter about Stranger Things was high for a week or two before Season 3 premiered and hot for a week or so after it premiered, and then, it was pretty much over. Also, spoilers abound, so if you don't binge the show right away, you can't read anything about it, cutting down on the incentive to cover the show. It doesn't generate excitement in forums like this one, since everyone is on a different time table and we can't talk about things we haven't seen yet. Contrast that with Game of Thrones, which unveiled a new episode every week for 6 or 7 weeks, all to much media hype, plenty of online chatter and so forth. I think new streaming services are smart to only debut one episode per week (which is apparently what Disney+ will do, and what other services do).

14. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I agree that releasing an episode a week would be a better idea.

I ended up liking Stranger Things 3 better than I thought I would by the end.

PS Off topic, but if anyone else here likes old advertisements, especially old automobile ads, I've posted some colorful high-rez images of ads for Packards, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, LaSalles, etc. in a new thread in the After Hours Lounge (Off Topics) section of HTF.

Tino likes this.
  15. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Finished the season last night. I thought it was terrific. Nice teaser to set up the fourth (and likely last) season.

Sean Bryan and Tino like this.
  16. Message #136 of 146 Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I finished the season last night also. I agree it seemed more humorous and light hearted compared to the first two seasons, which is not a bad thing necessarily, but as a result I felt the stakes were not as high.

I enjoyed the additions to the cast. I didn't realize who Maya Hawke's parents were, but once I did couldn't believe I didn't see the resemblance to Uma Thurman earlier. The expansion of Erica's character and reveal of her inner nerd was a great moment.

Also, speaking of resemblances, Millie Bobby Brown looked like a kid version of Elizabeth Perkins, especially after she picked out her Gap outfit. But again, I seem to be late to this revelation. :D

George_W_K likes this.
  17. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    I definitely agree that weekly releases would be much better for social media and water cooler discussions.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  18. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    This has been an issue for a long time, especially evident with the Marvel Netflix shows and the kind of activity occurring on this forum for those shows. I don't know if there's been a great solution that has happened organically. The best it's gotten is Adam Lenhardt watches and offers his insights and analysis, and the rest of us either agree or disagree with him. :D

19. Message #139 of 146 Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Well, I finally finished up the epic 1 hour 20 minutes final episode last night. A very satisfying conclusion. I've liked all 3 series pretty much about equally, and felt this one fleshed out the various characters in interesting ways. The way they wrapped things up at the end of this season opens up a range of cool possibilities for the next one. If I had any gripes, it would be that some of the Joyce-Hopper bickering got a bit much here and there, and that, while he had a few really good, emotional moments, Will felt a little sidelined. But these are very minor gripes. Overall, it was just a pure blast of colorful, nostalgic fun, upping the gross-outs and action elements, while never losing sight of the real key to this series' success: the charming, likeable characters and their relationships.

Sean Bryan, Craig S, benbess and 2 others like this.
  20. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    LOVED season three! Definitely better than season two, which I felt was a bit too derivative of the original season. That first season is still one of my favorite seasons of a tv series of all time, and while three didn’t top it per se, it felt appropriately fresh and different while still holding the spirit of the show. More colorful, more funny, a lot of really good character moments. And that final episode is textbook on how to properly and satisfyingly pay off a season in its finale.