What's new

Netflix Series - Stranger Things 2 - Oct 27 2017 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Off topic, but being someone who was about one year younger than Mike, Dustin, Lucas and Will in '84 there is a great deal of nostalgia when watching STRANGER THINGS. The Halloween stuff really brought back some memories.

By '83-'84 I was doing more elaborate costumes like the gang here, but going back a few years earlier, anyone remember those crappy K-Mart box costumes? They came in a thick rectangular box and had a uncomfortable hard plastic mask with eye holes, a mouth slit, and an elastic band around the back. Then the "outfit" was ridiculously crappy. On the chest it would have the name of the character you were supposed to be and a freaking picture of him/her. Like if I had one of these box costumes that was the Six Million Dollar Man (which I did), it had the generic face that I guess was trying to look like Lee Majors and then the suit had "The Six Million Dollar Man" written across the chest and a picture of the Bionic Man jumping or something. If you got a Superman, instead of the suit being blue with a big "S" on the chest it said "Superman!" across the chest and had picture of him flying. Just terrible. I hated those!

But by '84 I had more control over my Halloween costumes. So when the STRANGER THINGS gang was going around in their Ghostbusters costumes I was Indiana Jones from the Temple of Doom with an Indy fedora, one arm of my shirt ripped off, machete and a real 10 foot leather bullwhip.

Anyone else remember what they went as in '84?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A toddler?

My first trick or treats would have been more like 86 or so - I was either a jack in the box or Pac-Man. I don't think my mom ever had to buy a costume, or at least not until the Ninja Turtles era.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I’ve got a Samsung 8500. On this show and this show alone (of the shows I watch on Netflix), my backlight and contrast get automatically set to maximum. I only checked because it kept bothering me how outdoor scenes were brighter than the sun. Are these settings required for HDR? Is it potentially damaging like max. contrast was with CRTs? Is there a way to keep this from happening? I know this is a little off-topic.

Never mind. Apparently, this is how it is designed to work.

Last edited:

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I finished season 2 last night. I felt that Episodes 1-3 were sort of slow, but the rest really took off. I didn't have a problem with episode 7 like some. It did feel sort of out of place, but I enjoyed bitchin El. My guess is that that plot point will be picked up next season. It sort of just stood alone with no real ties to the main story.

One thing that bothers me is the way Winona plays Joyce, I get stressed every time she is on screen. It is just too over the top. Better than last year, but still too much. I get that she is a mom, but good god woman, get yourself together.

The other issue I have is the hair styles of the kids. I graduated in 1982, so am a bit older than the older kids, but never saw bowl cuts on kids this age. I get that they are "nerds" but so was I and I would have tried to have the same haircut as everyone else to try and fit in.

Steve's hair was the closest of them all. In fact that was the time of the big hair and shoulder pads on women.

This is the Hair that I remember:
https://www.google.com/search?num=5....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.7.491.0...0.MmFwYT-vuQQ

Mens:
https://www.google.com/search?num=5...i7i10i30k1j0i7i5i30k1j0i13i10k1.0.UJMBZ87_NWg

Still, those are little issues. Over all I liked the season and look forward to where they take us next season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One thing that bothers me is the way Winona plays Joyce, I get stressed every time she is on screen. It is just too over the top. Better than last year, but still too much. I get that she is a mom, but good god woman, get yourself together.
Winona/Joyce bothered me in the first season. In the second season she appealed to me more and appeared to be much stronger and in-charge so I kind of disagree with you about her not having herself together. If it wasn't for her bravery, Hopper would be dead.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
By '83-'84 I was doing more elaborate costumes like the gang here, but going back a few years earlier, anyone remember those crappy K-Mart box costumes? They came in a thick rectangular box and had a uncomfortable hard plastic mask with eye holes, a mouth slit, and an elastic band around the back. Then the "outfit" was ridiculously crappy. On the chest it would have the name of the character you were supposed to be and a freaking picture of him/her. Like if I had one of these box costumes that was the Six Million Dollar Man (which I did), it had the generic face that I guess was trying to look like Lee Majors and then the suit had "The Six Million Dollar Man" written across the chest and a picture of the Bionic Man jumping or something. If you got a Superman, instead of the suit being blue with a big "S" on the chest it said "Superman!" across the chest and had picture of him flying. Just terrible. I hated those!

Anyone else remember what they went as in '84?

No, but I do remember the box costumes as I had the Six Million Dollar Man one. I also had Darth Vader with the eye holes so big that half your face would be visible and just ruined the whole experience.

Finished watching tonight after a 3 day binge. 1 episode the first night, 5 night two, and the rest tonight. I liked it a whole lot better than season 1. It seemed to get to get to the action faster. While I found Joyce annoying in much of season 1, I applauded her in season 2. I didn't like that it took most of the season for Mike and Eleven to reconnect, but I appreciated it. As far as her entrance, though, I wish they would have have just done a whole body shot instead of starting with her feet - the moment was already 'spoiled' with the latch unlatching itself; we knew it was her. It would have been more 'bitchin' if we could have seen her face immediately.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
The other issue I have is the hair styles of the kids. I graduated in 1982, so am a bit older than the older kids, but never saw bowl cuts on kids this age. I get that they are "nerds" but so was I and I would have tried to have the same haircut as everyone else to try and fit in.

I wonder if any throwback show will feature the 'premullet' for boys that was the rage at my school in the mid-80s. Where you were preppy on top and had a tight perm in back. So in for the Benneton and Swatch set.

That and jeans with the ankles rolled up tight over your Kaeppa high tops.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Finished season 2 last night. It was great. Hard to choose between this and season 1, but saying they're equal is high praise, IMO.

I came to ST1 late (this year) so I didn't have to wait a year to see season 2 - only a few months. Going to be a long wait for season 3.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Finished it. I'm glad they ended it in a closed satisfying way and not a cliffhanger like season 1. I'm done with this series. Don't need to watch one more minute.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The look of the cinematography between the two seasons sure changed. I didn't touch a thing on my set, but the SOE was strong in Season 2, Padawan.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I’ve got a Samsung 8500. On this show and this show alone (of the shows I watch on Netflix), my backlight and contrast get automatically set to maximum. I only checked because it kept bothering me how outdoor scenes were brighter than the sun. Are these settings required for HDR? Is it potentially damaging like max. contrast was with CRTs? Is there a way to keep this from happening? I know this is a little off-topic.

Never mind. Apparently, this is how it is designed to work.

No doubt your HDR can be significantly improved by a quality calibrator.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Looks like Season One is going to get a 4K/UHD release so I'm glad I passed on the Target Blu-ray release.

Excellent! It is almost 2018. They shouldn't be peddling HD-only on BD when it streams in UHD. I was disappointed when the original announcement was for BD only. I'll definitely buy this!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
One of the the tings I really enjoy about Stranger Things is how they subvert your expectations with much of the plot and character development.

A good example was in the first season how Steve was basically set up to be an antagonist but he then changed course and became someone to root for.

In Stranger Things 2:

When Hopper brings his observations about the rotten pumpkins to the attention of Dr. Owens, the doctor doesn't seem to think there is much to his story but he said they'd take a look. Typically, you'd expect most writers to have the "doctor" blow off the concerns of the chief. And the authority not taking the warning seriously would lead to disaster that could have been prevented "if only". But here, even though Dr. Owens doubts there is anything of substance to Hopper's claims, he still acts as a competent professional and acts responsibly for the type of position he is in and has his team investigate. They then confirm the problem, it's just too out of hand to easily address.

And then there is Dr. Owens himself. Viewers are probably expecting him to be an obstacle to the "heroes". Another company scientist who is an antagonist and likely will be revealed to be an outright enemy of the main characters. I know I kept expecting him to take a "Carter Burke" turn and really screw them all over. However, this is not what the character was. Turns out he is a solid dude. A genuinely good guy who wants to do the right thing and make up for what those who came before him had done. You think that's just the bullshit he's trying to sell you and that he's going to turnout to be what we fear and worse. He did threaten Nancy and Jonathan about the consequences of leaking government secrets. But then again, it was a legitimate warning about the realistic potential consequences for anyone who may be looking to do something illegal like that, even if it is "right". And he never takes "the turn". What he was saying earlier about wanting to do right was true. He puts himself in grave danger to stay behind and try to talk Bob through his escape. And he comes through again helping Eleven become "legitimate" with the birth certificate.

There's a lot more examples of this kind of stuff (just running out of time right now) where the story and characters don't take the typical easy or "lazy writer" track, and it is VERY refreshing when watching this show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
F60FC79F-8BB6-4BCF-92FC-010C855D65F9.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks