What's new

Netflix Rental Disc On-going Thread (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This is disappointing. Neflix sent a "rental" disc for THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT which does not include everything that a purchaser of the set will get. Now, the same thing happens for STARSKY & HUTCH (2004). It's a rental disc but I don't know if I'm missing anything (I'll check later). Are there any other titles like this? I wrote to Netflix expressing my dismay at this practice.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
There are other titles. I know that Gus Van Sant's Elephant was a rental only disc and did not include the special features included in the retail version.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
hmmmm... after reading this post, and some complaints in the Butterfly Effect review thread, I decided to check out the Netflix description (it's in my queue). Check this out!
I am not sure when this changed, but it looks like they are covering their asses now.

danak

Second Unit
I've seen Usenet posters give the opinion that Netflix does this because those discs are double sided and more prone to damage, and that NF allegedly asks for special rental versions that are not double sided (which means more discs sometimes). That may explain why for some TV series that they offer, there are more discs listed on the NF website than on Amazon (Example: 5 from NF vs 3 from Amazon for Wonder Woman).

Dana

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
That's correct...there was a discussion of this before, but I don't remember which thread. I don't have a problem with it if they advertise it as such (i.e. Butterfly Effect). However, the DISCS themselves still tell you to "flip the disc" to see the other cut or special features, and THAT bugs me!

KarenDB

Auditioning
I just had Deliverance from Netflix. It was a two sided disk. One side for the widescreen and one for the mutilated version.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Fortunately, Starsky & Hutch (2004) had everything intact, but there are not many extra features on the original disc anyway so they don't lose anything.

Another Netflix "rental" title is The Big Bounce (2004).

Both of these titles are from Warner Bros. Is New Line Home Video still part of Warner? (Sneaky how Netflix put that disclaimer for The Butterfly Effect. Before that notice came up, I had written them a scathing, but professional, note about how disappointing TBE disc was.)

And they raise their prices for this? :)

Jeff Gross

Second Unit

I've been watching West Wing on DVD through NetFlix. The first season is 3 double sided discs. I received one of them that was cracked in the mail.

Although the second season is 3 double sided discs if you purchase it, NetFlix has it as 6 single sided discs.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Before I address that quote, let me digress: I was a VERY early user of Netflix (I believe they only had 2 distribution centers at that time!). In the "old days", if there was a title that was a 2-disc release, you got both discs at once; please remember, 2-disc sets were the exception, not the rule at the time. Multi-disc sets were practically non-existent at that time. I think they changed the multi-disc DVD policy when The Sopranos came out. Here were people getting four discs at a time, even though their subscription was for three discs.

Now, regarding your statement: the answer is probably three-fold.
1. It (in theory) lets six different people rent from one set.
2. It makes more sense (and money) for Netflix since it forces you to rent six discs instead of three.
3. If one disc breaks, it still allows for five other rentals to occur until the disc is replaced.

And there you have it!

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
This is an assumption and Netflix is usually good about updating their pages, but this stands out negatively in my mind.

Hellboy is a 2-disc Special Edition being released today. However, when you rent the disc, it does not allow you to rent the "Bonus Disc" (as older multiple disc titles say). So I am assuming that this title will be yet another "rental" disc. But looking at the back cover, it seems as if the extras are split equally on both discs. Disc Two has some very interesting features (including "And Much More") that I would like to see. If anyone rents it soon, let us know here.

Maybe we should start compiling a list of these "rental" discs that Netflix is using just to see...

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

My copy should be here tomorrow; I will post what I received Wed. afternoon.

I wish they would include a disclaimer in the film description along these lines: "This is a rental only disc and my not contain all the features of the commercial release."

How does Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Walmart.com or Nicheflix handle the 2-disc issue? Anyone care to chime in?

danak

Second Unit
Keith,

I had no problem clicking Rent on the Bonus Disc and putting it in my queue. It's winding its way to my mailbox as we speak (Wed or Thurs). You just have to search for Hellboy and both the movie disc and the bonus disc come up.

If you are thinking that it's supposed to be grouped together like many of the multi-disc documentary titles or TV series, Netflix doesn't usually do that with movie titles that have bonus discs; they are listed separately, except when the movie spans 2 discs (like Gangs of New York).

Dana

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I think since I had Hellboy in my queue long before it was announced (I put it in my queue when the movie came out in theaters), Netflix just put the first disc in my queue. OKAY, Netflix, I was wrong on this one!

However, it would be a nice touch if they were to send an email asking if I would like to rent the Bonus Disc. They could put that in the email that says, "HELLBOY has been shipped."

Anyway, if anyone else sees "rental" discs like The Butterfly Effect, please let us know. Thanks!

I guess Starsky & Hutch and The Big Bounce don't count since they aren't missing any features.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I actually received Hellboy today (Tues.)!!! Good work Netflix! The FIRST TIME EVER that I got a title on its street date! All the features are the same as the copies I saw in stores today...can't wait to watch it after work on Wed.!

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
Another "rental disc" (also Warner) is the complete season 1 of the Waltons. Instead of 5 discs, there are 9 (!) through Netflix.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Keith:

Maybe you can ask one of the mods to change the title of this thread to Netflix Rental Disc Ongoing thread. I would be more than happy to add info to it!

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Here's another one for the list, though it's not released yet...The Munsters Season One will be spread across six discs thru Netflix, but only three discs if you buy it.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Here's another one from Warner:

Without a Trace: Season One

It's 8 discs at Netflix vs. 4 discs regular purchase.

Should this thread be moved out of Vendors Feedback? If so, which forum would it go in? It's not necessarily Film & Documentary nor is it TV on DVD. We are currently just keeping track of "rental" discs from Netflix. We're not giving feedback to Netflix anymore, are we?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Here's another one, from HBO/Warner:

Six Feet Under: Season Two

As long as these rental discs do not sacrifice any content - like 6FU:S2 - then I'm okay with it. The The Butterfly Effect rental disc is not acceptable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks