What's new

Netflix Raising Pricing! See Post #12 (1 Viewer)

Paless

Auditioning
Real Name
Amanda D. Woods
TFW you are using Netflix only to watch Bojack Horseman. I guess my salary as a freelance writer won't be enough for doing everything i want from now on. Bye-bye Netflix, hello-hello "watch online" :(

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Perhaps they need the bread to pay settlements for Danny Masterson and Kevin Spacey. :rolling-smiley:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Well, HDR streaming isn't really possible with my internet provider anyway, and as all my TVs are only 1080p anyway (and my streaming is currently 720p most, if not all of the time), this isn't a big issue for me.

Shouldn't be too surprising, though. As the streamers keep competing with each other for content (and throwing money into original programming), price hikes are going to be expected.

Now that Disney have purchased a controlling interest in Hulu, I wonder if they still plan on launching their own stand-alone streaming service, or if they'll start putting all their content onto Hulu instead.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It seems way premature for Netflix to be considering these new plans when the compatible content they offer is virtually non-existent. Maybe there's more in the European markets?

Also, how will this all wash out with the Net Neutrality situation? Can Netflix really guarantee customers who opt for these packages receive this level of quality across all ISP's?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
It seems way premature for Netflix to be considering these new plans when the compatible content they offer is virtually non-existent. Maybe there's more in the European markets?

I had thought about that myself as I was writing my post above. I'm pretty sure Europe (and other places) are way ahead of us on high-speed internet (because they don't have all the aging infrastructure that we've got), so it would make sense to roll this out first in countries where high-speed is more widely available.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
BOHICA
https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/ct-biz-netflix-pirce-increase-20190115-story.html

Netflix is raising its U.S. prices by 13 percent to 18 percent, its biggest increase since the company launched its streaming service 12 years ago.

Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. Even at the higher price, that plan is still a few dollars cheaper than HBO, whose streaming service charges $15 per month.

The extra cash will help to pay for Netflix's huge investment in original shows and films and finance the heavy debt it has assumed to ward off rivals such as Amazon, Disney and AT&T.

This marks the fourth time that Netflix has raised its U.S. prices; the last hike came in late 2017 . But this is the first time that higher prices will hit all 58 million U.S. subscribers, the number Netflix reported at the end of September.

Previously, Netflix had continued to offer a basic, $8-a-month streaming plan while raising rates on more comprehensive plans with better video quality and options to watch simultaneously on different devices.

This time, the price for the cheapest plan is going up to $9 per month. A premium plan offering ultra-high definition will jump to $16 per month from $14.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
DirecTV is raising their pricing too. These guys are going to price themselves out of a lot of households as people will have to make some hard choices.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
BOHICA
https://www.baltimoresun.com/business/ct-biz-netflix-pirce-increase-20190115-story.html

Netflix is raising its U.S. prices by 13 percent to 18 percent, its biggest increase since the company launched its streaming service 12 years ago.

Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. Even at the higher price, that plan is still a few dollars cheaper than HBO, whose streaming service charges $15 per month.

The extra cash will help to pay for Netflix's huge investment in original shows and films and finance the heavy debt it has assumed to ward off rivals such as Amazon, Disney and AT&T.

This marks the fourth time that Netflix has raised its U.S. prices; the last hike came in late 2017 . But this is the first time that higher prices will hit all 58 million U.S. subscribers, the number Netflix reported at the end of September.

Previously, Netflix had continued to offer a basic, $8-a-month streaming plan while raising rates on more comprehensive plans with better video quality and options to watch simultaneously on different devices.

This time, the price for the cheapest plan is going up to $9 per month. A premium plan offering ultra-high definition will jump to $16 per month from $14.

I already know a lot of people that have dropped Netflix last year. I don't know if Netflix subs are on the rise, or decline but they are playing with fire.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think anyone is asking them to invest in all this "original" programming. I find it completely annoying that when I try and use Netflix, what appears for options are mostly "A Netflix Original".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Worth every penny in my opinion. With all their great programming it’s a great bargain for pennies a day.
Only, if you use it enough to see it's a great bargain. For myself, even with me retired, I have too much programming available to me so I'm looking to cut out some stuff out in 2019, in order to save some money.

DirecTV: Premier
Netflix: Premium
Hulu
Amazon Prime

Also, there's my extensive 4KUHD/BD/DVD library. As well as the TCM app. and various streams/downloads options I have on Vudu and iTunes.

TBH, I've been a DirecTV Premier subscriber for over 20 years, but I rarely watch any of the premium channels except to watch something like True Detective or Game of Thrones on HBO. I hardly watch premium channels like Showtime, Movie Channel or even the Starz channels. I'm a sports nut so I do watch my NBA Pass, NFL Ticket and MLB Extra Innings sports packages. I definitely need to change my DirecTV Premier package to reflect my current viewing habits and stop wasting monies each month as the rates for these home entertainment services continue to rise with no end in sight.

The same with Hulu which is attached to my Spotify Account. I rarely watch anything on Hulu. In 2019, we have Disney, Warner and Criterion coming with their services. I have some hard decisions to make as I just have too much stuff to watch for me to get enough value out of them to justify the monies I'm spending each month with all of these home entertainment options.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Real Name
Doug
We only do Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, so the price increase for me is pretty inconsequential. Like you mention Robert, there's just SO much content available you have to pick and choose which streaming services give you the best value for your tastes. For me, Hulu doesn't cut it, and neither does DirectTV Premier. If there's a particular show I want to watch on an alternative service (like The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, or Game of Thrones on HBO), I'll subscribe for a month, watch what I want, then cancel when I'm done. I think that all-in-all this strategy had worked out well for my household.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
We're a Hulu and Netflix family. As I noted in another thread we signed up for Amazon Prime in 2017 after being told that it has such an amazing movie streaming service and for $9 a month or so it seemed a no brainer. What a big fail that was. One of IMO the worst most lacking movie/tv streaming service there is. Almost nothing but crappy old B to Z movies and TV shows. Most of the items you can't even stream, you have to "buy now". It was ridiculous. As soon as the membership plan came due we cancelled, and of course they wanted $20 MORE to renew.

Hulu is head over heals better IMO as far as selection goes, especially for TV stuff. Movies are good, but not Netflix good. We use Netflix and Hulu daily at our house whereas Amazon was rarely touched.

We also discovered Tubi and it too has some decent offering all for free.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I'm just not sure, anymore. My Netflix package going from $10.99 to $12.99 is what I calculate to be about an 18% increase. That seems like a pretty big jump. My significant other has ordered me not to cancel Netflix. I am starting to feel it is not worth it, because we simply do not watch much of their original programming. Once the Marvel shows are gone, I am not sure just how much we will use the service.
We also have Amazon Prime, and DirecTV with HBO and Showtime, and 1400 disc titles we can watch. Yet, we still watch Big Bang reruns!
We picked up Hulu just long enough to watch The Handmaid's Tale, 11-22-63, and Castle Rock.
Now that I got a deal with DirecTV which lowered our bill from $138/month to $42, I feel pretty good.
I used to think with cable or satellite, an a-la-carte plan would be nice, to just pay for the channels you watch. Now, I am starting to wonder if it might be cheaper to go that way with streaming-where you just pay for the program you want to watch, (if that were offered). But, I guess that makes it too much like on-demand or Redbox. I mean, if you are going to pay $13.00 to watch a season of a show on a service, you might as well wait, and buy it on disc, (which is my preferred way to watch things, anyway).
I think we are about to be in a world where every studio has its own stream, and having cut the cord will not have saved us, because of the exclusivity that is going to happen. Even "with all this to choose from", it seems like there is nothing on!
(Forgive my ramble.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robert45