What's new

Netflix Picture Quality (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
By the way, Dolby Digital Plus is able to deliver up to 15 discrete channels at 10 times the bitrate per channel than regular dolby. Many streaming services use this and it is MUCH better than the Dolby Digital you find on old DVDs.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
First you have to have equipment that can decode it connected by HDMI. (I use Roku 3 and a Yamaha AV receiver that is DD+ capable. Older equipment won't be able to play it.) Go to the global audio settings for Roku and select surround sound. Then go to a major modern movie on Netflix streaming and pulldown the sound and subtitles menu until you find one that has DobyDigital+ 5:1 listed as an option. There are a lot of them.

http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=518214

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Netflix sometimes refers to DD+ as "HD Sound", They have had it for the past several years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/07/netflix-performance-on-verizon-fios-dropped-another-17-percent-in-june/
Netflix pays Verizon money. Performance drops another 17%.

Well played, Verizon. Well played.
clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I realize the video in many cases is good but I totally hate Dolby Digital and I will avoid a blu-ray title if the only audio track is Dolby Digital and no lossless is offered. Did I mention I totally hate Dolby Digital, rofl.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
bigshot said:
First you have to have equipment that can decode it connected by HDMI. (I use Roku 3 and a Yamaha AV receiver that is DD+ capable. Older equipment won't be able to play it.) Go to the global audio settings for Roku and select surround sound. Then go to a major modern movie on Netflix streaming and pulldown the sound and subtitles menu until you find one that has DobyDigital+ 5:1 listed as an option. There are a lot of them. http://investor.dolby.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=518214
Once again please give an EXACT EXAMPLE I can go to today to hear a Dolby Digital Plus track on a stream that is measurably better, or heck even subjectively better, than the identical track from a DVD or BluRay. Pick your favorite one!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Back to the main topic - Netflix has improved in PQ lately. I only see the crappy PQ at first, then it goes away and looks fine. Might have something to do with Comcast now offering 105 mbps. I don't have that speed but my usual 50mbps is now 70 to 80.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
What is the price for HD and Ultra HD from Netflix? And what is the impression of the UHD quality from netflix so far?

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The more I read about streaming, observe my friends' sub standard Netflix etc. downloads and hear them gripe about expensive internet monthly fees, the more I'm glad that BDs aren't extinct...yet.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I find there's plenty of room for both. Netflix works very well for me - it's HD quality equals or surpasses broadcast HD, falling just below blu-ray. And at $8 per month, plus an additional $10 for unlimited internet, I get access to more movies than I could possibly watch for the price of a single disc.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
RolandL said:
Back to the main topic - Netflix has improved in PQ lately. I only see the crappy PQ at first, then it goes away and looks fine. Might have something to do with Comcast now offering 105 mbps. I don't have that speed but my usual 50mbps is now 70 to 80.
I've noticed that with Netflix recently - just moved into Time Warner Cable territory and the last couple times I streamed from Netflix, it bounced around a few times at 480p and even lower (according to the info display on my player), but stabilized at 1080p by five minutes in, and once it hooked up at that level, stayed that way for the rest. Honestly I wish the player would just take an extra minute to buffer or something than have it start at low quality and go through a series of incremental improvements, but I try not to get too worked up over it (emphasis on "try").

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks