Netflix or Digital Cable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jim Williams, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I am faced with making a choice between digital cable or my Netflix subscription. I am a movie lover and have been for years, but my wife does not like most of the movies I choose to watch. amoung the movies I enjoyed that she did not care for include Confidence, Lost in Translation, The Conversation, The Godfather, and Punch Drunk Love. So you see, they are not just your typical guy flix that she dislikes. I thought that as a compromise I would offer to give up Netflix in favor of digital cable (but without any premium channels - cost too much). I am afraid that I will really miss the movies I love and the flexability that DVDs and Netflix offers. I have already compromised somewhat in that I always order movies that I know that she would like, such as Prince of Tides, Always, Ghost, Dirty Dancing, etc. I try to get one WAF movie for every movie that I enjoy. What my wife considers to be a night of quality entertainment is watching Everybody Loves Raymond, or Judging Amy or American Dreams. Now I like watching TV to a certain extent and I like these programs, but my real love is movies.

I really don't know what to do. I want our HT to be an experience that we both will enjoy without either of us feeling like we have given up anything. I certainly don't want us to end up watching TV in separate rooms. Help me out guys, how do I resolve this situation.

2. Cesar

Cesar Extra

Get DirecTivo. I had netflix and now that I can record anything and everything, we cancelled netflix.

3. Skip Hammerman

Go down to Netflix two movies out at a time rate of $14.79 a month. You should be able to swing that and keep whatever cable configuration you are happy and comfortable with.

[​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you're not getting the premium channels, then there are a lot of movies you're never going to see (at least not without substantial edits for broadcast and long delays after release). The choice as you've posed it is between two options that don't even come close to being equal.

If you're already receiving the major channels and those are the shows your wife enjoys, I'd keep that arrangement. The real issue is negotiating the viewing schedule.

M.

5. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Walmart DVD.
    Free for one month.

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Netflix or Digital Cable?
    OAR or Pan&Scan?

7. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

Stay with Netflix and get whatever cable level you require to keep the wife happy. Many don't know this, but cable companies all offer a basic package that is basically just local channels for between 5-10 $/month.

With DVDs you get that good hometheater sound (DD and DTS) and picture quality that you won't get through cable (unless you have HD)and you get to watch the movies when you want to.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jim,

Netflix or digital cable? It really doesn't matter, the real issue here is you and your wife need to come to a compromise. Figure out which shows she likes the most and watch TV on those days, then figure out what days are acceptable for you to put on movies that you want to watch. She gets some nights to watch shows, you get some nights to watch movies, and everyone is at least reasonably happy. She chooses the shows on TV night, you choose the movie on movie night. Maybe one night a week you change up and either watch her movies or your shows, whatever works for you two.

Whatever you do, don't watch TV in different rooms and be flexible to her needs as a sitcom junkie [​IMG] After all, watching shows you don't like with a loved one is better than watching a movie you love all by yourself (not always, but usually true.) I'm sure there is some common ground for you two to work with.

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

I don't think digital cable is what you are looking for. All that will do is get you extra channels; unless your wife is really itching to watch the shows on those channels it won't benefit either of you. Certainly it's no good for movies, unless you get premiums, & even then Netflix is better. The digital cable channels are just things like more versions of Discovery channel, History channel, lots of niche cable channels.

If your wife mostly watches major network stuff then you don't need digital cable; you need some sort of Tivo. Then you can easily watch her shows at any time; every night you have flexibility of watching either one of the stored shows or a Netflix DVD, in any order.

10. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

Thanks for your suggestions. For now I think that I will keep things as they are for now. Every now and then I pick a DVD that my wife and I both really enjoy. If I could get her to get more involved in the DVD rental selection process I think that we could both be happy.