What's new

Netflix Netflix (once again) Raises All Subscription Plans in U.S. (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We rarely watch Netflix anymore. I may have to downgrade to HD when my price hike goes into effect.

I just got rid of it a week ago. I must say, I have watched more shows on Netflix than any other channel, but I felt as if paying close to $20 a month for the 4k feed every month was exorbitant when I had other subscribed services in my home.

Now that it's actually $20 a month, I am thinking twice about resubscribing other than to perhaps do it one or two months a year to binge-watch a worthy show.

Oh, and their 4k feed seems more compressed than other services such as HBO MAX and APPLE TV

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Someone has to pay poor Leonardo DiCaprio—he only made $30 million for Don't Look Up! Let's all chip in. Maybe we should call it, don't look up how much Netflix costs—and why it's now costing so much. All that said, I'm going to keep it. But yeah, if the price goes up again by a lot I might have to think about it at some point.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Friendly reminder that you don’t have to think of yourself as a “Netflix subscriber” the way households thought of themselves as “HBO houses” back in the 80s and 90s.

None of the major streaming services require minimum subscription periods nor do they have cancelation penalties.

Our household subscribes to services when they have programs of interest to us, and then deactivate those subscriptions when we’ve seen those programs or when their seasons end. If they offer a yearly price discount that makes it worthwhile to pay for a year up front, we’ll do that, but otherwise, we’ll let it go.

I don’t think our monthly streaming service bill has ever topped $50 because we’ve never had all of the services we’ve used active at the same time, since they’ve never all had first run programming of interest to us running at the same time. That price is significantly less than basic cable used to cost us, and we get more out of our streaming than we ever did out of cable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got rid of it a week ago. I must say, I have watched more shows on Netflix than any other channel, but I felt as if paying close to $20 a month for the 4k feed every month was exorbitant when I had other subscribed services in my home.

Now that it's actually $20 a month, I am thinking twice about resubscribing other than to perhaps do it one or two months a year to binge-watch a worthy show.

Oh, and their 4k feed seems more compressed than other services such as HBO MAX and APPLE TV
I got rid of Netflix months ago as I wasn't watch it enough to justify the 4K pricing. I will resubscribe in the next few months for a short period of time to watch some of their movies, but then will unsubscribed again.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I reupped a couple of months ago to finish up the marvel shows that I never finished.
We’ve been using a friends account but it is only the cheapo version.
Already cancelled my current 4K version and will wait a few months at minimum before signing up again.

$20 plus tax is too much for a streamer.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I finally switched my iPhone over to T-Mobile. Since my wife and I now both use them and we're over 55 we qualify for their Magenta 55+ plan which includes Netflix at no additional cost. T-Mobile isn't quite as good as Verizon was for coverage and reliability but the cost savings more than make up for it. Worth looking into if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I'm canceling. I'll re-up next December for their annual Oscar films, but I've got more than enough to keep me busy until then. Besides their annual December releases, I really don't watch it very often. I get much more use out of HBO Max, Hulu and even Apple TV+.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, this will finally push me over the edge to finally treat NF same way I treat most other streaming services (as Josh recommended).

I actually rarely watch much of anything on there myself anyway and mainly kept it for the family (and my Mom). And my family might finally be less interested in using NF so regularly as well -- they're not keen on me doing the rounds w/ short term subscriptions, but breaking the $20 barrier plus the new sales tax imposition on top (for a whopping ~$3.80 total hike) and w/ dwindling content of interest should finally do it for us...

_Man_

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
None of the major streaming services require minimum subscription periods nor do they have cancelation penalties.
This is truly one of the main benefits of streaming and one that we leverage often. So, for us, Netflix can raise prices all they want. It just means that we'll be paying for fewer months of the service annually. I can cut my bill in half by subscribing every other month, or less.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve watched Netflix quite often the past five years. Price increases didn’t concern me.

But with so many services with so many great shows, we’re hardly watching Netflix right now. We finished Locke & Key S2 a couple of weeks ago. We just started Cobra Kai S4. But mainly we’re watching Apple, HBO, and Paramount.

So I think we’ll finish Cobra Kai (and I’ve got to finish Arcane that I’m watching on travel) and then cancel Netflix, for the first time since we subscribed years ago, for a few months.

And that will offset paying $5/mo for Peacock to keep watching Community. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But I’ll have to resubscribe at sometime because I still want to get to The Witcher. And there’s S3 of The Umbrella Academy coming. And hopefully Russian Doll S2 isn’t a myth. Oh, and more Love Death Robots. And…

So, Netflix isn’t dead to me. But I might finally start toggling it on and off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But I’ll have to resubscribe at sometime because I still want to get to The Witcher. And there’s S3 of The Umbrella Academy coming. And hopefully Russian Doll S2 isn’t a myth. Oh, and more Love Death Robots. And…

So, Netflix isn’t dead to me. But I might finally start toggling it on and off.

I loved RUSSIAN DOLL and also hope a second season is a reality. Love that actress.

I canceled before S4 of Cobra Kai dropped. Did they drop the entire season at once? If so, I may have to pay the price just to binge it

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I loved RUSSIAN DOLL and also hope a second season is a reality. Love that actress.

I canceled before S4 of Cobra Kai dropped. Did they drop the entire season at once? If so, I may have to pay the price just to binge it
Netflix always drops the entire season -- that's their schtick -- except in the few cases where they're showing a broadcast show like Great Baking Bake Off that follows the broadcast schedule.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I don't have the 4K plan, but I just watched The Harder They Fall in HD and the compression artifacts were awful. This wasn't a case of bandwidth, the feature looked bit starved. It was plenty sharp, but I saw noise in it that was obviously poor compression. So the price goes up while the quality goes down.

I enjoyed the movie, however.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
FYI, rates bumps are hitting Canada too, the standard (2 streams, 1080p) and premium plans (4 streams, 4K) only, not the basic plan (1 stream, 480p).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks