Reaction score
Real Name
We'll see ya later, fellas 5/30/20
Last edited:

EricSchulz

Producer
Reaction score
NY times is a sub based web site.
Can you provide a little info on what is in that article instead of just posting a link.

Nothing terribly surprising. The Apple vs. Netflix war is on, apparently.

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
So somebody explain it to me like I’m a four-year-old. Will I, or will I not still be able to watch Netflix on Apple TV?

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
So somebody explain it to me like I’m a four-year-old. Will I, or will I not still be able to watch Netflix on Apple TV?
Of course you will

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Reactions: Sam Posten

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
This latest development doesn't change your ability to watch Netflix on AppleTV.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Went to the website and do not see any pricing which you would think they would have decided on before announcing the service. Does anyone know how much it will cost? I have to get a new cat6 cable and a ethernet switch along with my 4K Apple TV that I am planning to purchase in the next few months. If there is an issue with watching Netflix through the Apple TV I will always just be able to watch it through my 4K blu-ray player so I am not worried.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Went to the website and do not see any pricing which you would think they would have decided on before announcing the service.
These services do not come out until next fall.

Pricing for "Apple Channels" will be announced closer to then, and it shouldn't be surprising that Apple wouldn't want competitors to know what pricing is so early.

If it's the original Apple content you are referring to, that is "Apple TV+". The thought is that might be free to users of the Apple TV, or come at a monthly cost but we, again, will know closer to fall.

If there is an issue with watching Netflix through the Apple TV I will always just be able to watch it through my 4K blu-ray player so I am not worried.
Why do you anticipate having an issue watching Netflix through the Apple TV but still be able to play it through a blu-ray player?

Last edited:

JQuintana

Banned
BANNED
Reaction score
Real Name
Me
They'd be nuts to price it higher than Netflix at this point, so figure on max of $12 or so per month. For that they better have a GREAT catalog of movies and TV shows to offer otherwise they will flounder.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
They'd be nuts to price it higher than Netflix at this point, so figure on max of $12 or so per month. For that they better have a GREAT catalog of movies and TV shows to offer otherwise they will flounder.
There was nothing announced yesterday that would have a catalog of movies and TV shows similar to Netflix.

"Apple Channels" is a service that will allow you to buy TV Channels and other services a la carte (Hulu, HBO, CNN, ESPN, etc) then be able to watch them through one app.

"Apple TV+" is original Apple content only, not a Netflix-like service with broader content, and there is some thought they will be free to users of the aforementioned service, but we don't yet know.

Last edited:

JQuintana

Banned
BANNED
Reaction score
Real Name
Me
Should be interesting. I would have no use for "channels" since it's overly easy to point and click my channels using my Roku TV's. Add to that since I have Google Home set up I just say "Ok Google, watch Netflix" and poof, I'm watching Netflix.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Should be interesting. I would have no use for "channels" since it's overly easy to point and click my channels using my Roku TV's. Add to that since I have Google Home set up I just say "Ok Google, watch Netflix" and poof, I'm watching Netflix.
The purpose of "Apple Channels" is to be able to purchase TV Channels (CNN, CBS, TNT, etc) a la carte, rather than paying for an entire package of content you don't watch (Sling TV, YouTube TV). It also serves as a way to get a cheaper price on services over buying them on their own (HBO is rumored to be $9.99 here rather than paying $14.99 for HBO GO).

For those who complain about subscription fatigue, think of this is a way to have one monthly bill for everything, and to be able to pick and customize specifically what you want down to the channel, rather than having multiple subscriptions.

It's a much deeper thing then what you are describing doing with Roku...

Last edited:

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst

Dave Moritz

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Why do you anticipate having an issue watching Netflix through the Apple TV but still be able to play it through a blu-ray player?
Since some think there could be issues I am just saying if that is the case it will not be an issue for me as I will still be able to access Netflix with no problems.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Since some think there could be issues I am just saying if that is the case it will not be an issue for me as I will still be able to access Netflix with no problems.
I'm not seeing where anybody said there might be issues accessing Netflix on your Apple TV. You will be just fine.

Cranston37

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
So then what is the big deal with the title of this thread? That you won't be able to pay for your Netflix subscription through Apple? I wasn't even aware that you could do that now!
I point you towards my post #2...

Josh Steinberg

Executive Producer
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Dave, I think you might be misunderstanding. There is absolutely no issue whatsoever with viewing Netflix on an AppleTV. There is a Netflix app on the AppleTV that works just fine.

What's being mentioned here is that Apple is planning to launch their own app (Apple Channels) that will allow people to subscribe to multiple services within that single program. Right now, it is being said that Netflix is not interested in joining that program. You will still be able to view Netflix on an AppleTV device. You just wouldn't be able to access it via the Apple Channels app; you'd simply click on the Netflix app, which is what AppleTV users already do.

The purpose of "Apple Channels" is to be able to purchase TV Channels (CNN, CBS, TNT, etc) a la carte, rather than paying for an entire package of content you don't watch (Sling TV, YouTube TV). It also serves as a way to get a cheaper price on services over buying them on their own (HBO is rumored to be $9.99 here rather than paying $14.99 for HBO GO).

For those who complain about subscription fatigue, think of this is a way to have one monthly bill for everything, and to be able to pick and customize specifically what you want down to the channel, rather than having multiple subscriptions.

It's a much deeper thing then what you are describing doing with Roku...
That could be the thing that pushes me over the edge for cord cutting. I had checked out the offerings on SlingTV / YouTube TV / Hulu live, and I found that with all three services, each offered me some channels that I watch at least occasionally if not regularly, was missing at least one essential (for me) channel per service, and still included a whole bunch of ones I had no interest in. It looked like, when all was said and done, that it wasn't going to save me any money switching from cable to that type of service because the likelihood would be that I would have either needed two of those services instead of one, or would have needed to bundle on additional channels for additional fees.

If Apple Channels can give more control over a la carte selections than what's currently on the market, and can get discount pricing on other services through Channels, I'm in. Both Hulu and Amazon Prime offer the ability to sign up for other services through their main apps, but the pricing is the same as if you signed up to those services on their own. For that reason, I subscribe to HBO Now directly from HBO, instead of going through Hulu. But if Apple Channels can get discounts for their members on those services, I'd happily move everything into Apple Channels.

Apple charges far more for an AppleTV than the industry standard pricing for streaming boxes. I think the AppleTV offers better quality than those other devices, so I have no complaints about paying the premium price on it. However, if Apple institutes a policy where simply purchasing the AppleTV device gets you access to the Apple+ subscription service, or other kinds of benefits, I'm sure that would be helpful towards selling more AppleTV devices too.

John*Wells

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Dave, I think you might be misunderstanding. There is absolutely no issue whatsoever with viewing Netflix on an AppleTV. There is a Netflix app on the AppleTV that works just fine.

What's being mentioned here is that Apple is planning to launch their own app (Apple Channels) that will allow people to subscribe to multiple services within that single program. Right now, it is being said that Netflix is not interested in joining that program. You will still be able to view Netflix on an AppleTV device. You just wouldn't be able to access it via the Apple Channels app; you'd simply click on the Netflix app, which is what AppleTV users already do.

That could be the thing that pushes me over the edge for cord cutting. I had checked out the offerings on SlingTV / YouTube TV / Hulu live, and I found that with all three services, each offered me some channels that I watch at least occasionally if not regularly, was missing at least one essential (for me) channel per service, and still included a whole bunch of ones I had no interest in. It looked like, when all was said and done, that it wasn't going to save me any money switching from cable to that type of service because the likelihood would be that I would have either needed two of those services instead of one, or would have needed to bundle on additional channels for additional fees.

If Apple Channels can give more control over a la carte selections than what's currently on the market, and can get discount pricing on other services through Channels, I'm in. Both Hulu and Amazon Prime offer the ability to sign up for other services through their main apps, but the pricing is the same as if you signed up to those services on their own. For that reason, I subscribe to HBO Now directly from HBO, instead of going through Hulu. But if Apple Channels can get discounts for their members on those services, I'd happily move everything into Apple Channels.

Apple charges far more for an AppleTV than the industry standard pricing for streaming boxes. I think the AppleTV offers better quality than those other devices, so I have no complaints about paying the premium price on it. However, if Apple institutes a policy where simply purchasing the AppleTV device gets you access to the Apple+ subscription service, or other kinds of benefits, I'm sure that would be helpful towards selling more AppleTV devices too.
Could we be on a path though, where Netflix tells Apple to shove it and decides they wont license their app on Apple Devices?

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ar10