What's new

Netflix Next-Gen Disc Labels Causing Playback Issues? (1 Viewer)

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I noticed that Netflix is now adding labels around the inner ring of Blu-ray discs (haven't seen them on HD-DVD discs yet) stating "property of Netflix" or something like that. Not all the discs I've rec'd have the labels, but it seems to be a growing practice.

It then dawned on me that I've been having some very subtle - albeit noticeable - playback issues with discs with these labels on my Panny DMP-BDBD30K (latest firmware): there is a very slight "jump" forward in motion, as if a frame has been skipped; however, there is no audio dropout or any other anomaly. I have a feeling these labels are affecting playback to some degree, as I've now gone thru my purchased discs and have not seen this issue.

Common sense (and experience) tells me that one shouldn't add physical labels to discs as it messes with the playback tolerances.

Anybody else notice this?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I have not had any discs with labels on them yet. I would assume someone has been swapping discs with NetFlix. I dont know that i want a label with sticky glue in my Blu-ray player.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Just heard back from Netflix that the stickers are actually not for security reasons but to help prevent cracking around the inner ring. It's something they're testing out, but they're very curious to hear what people think about it. I'm dead set against it and told them my experience.

If anyone is so inclined, you can call Netflix toll free at 1-888-638-3549 and give them your $.02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks