What's new

Netflix newbie question here... (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

We decided to do Netflix again, (wifey is preggers so we stay in more) and surprisingly I'm noticing that very often they only have an older non-anamorphic or non SE of many titles. Just checked True Romance and The Black Hole, Rocky and a few others and disappointedly saw that this is the case.

Anybody else disappointed in this?

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
That is one thing you have to expect from them. If a studio double dips, they don't. If eventually the original versions die out, go out of print, discs get broken etc, they will upgrade. But, you can't expect them to run out and buy thousands of a new version just because the studio releases it.

Heck, a lot of people here freak out about double dips. And we don't have to buy thousands of copies.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Gotcha, but like with "Kingdom Of heaven" most people are saying that the director's cut is the way to go. No sign of it on netflix. sigh... we might have been better off just staying with REEL video down the block. At least they have multiple versions of stuff there.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Can't you use both? I have Netflix for 90% of my rentals, but every now and then I'll stop into the blockbuster or local Mom&Pop just to see whats new (and rent something if I'm not expecting a netflix delivery).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster Online carries a lot more of the "double dip editions" than Netflix which is one of the reasons I cancelled Netflix and signed up with them. Also, you can return online rentals to your local store and they act as coupons for FREE in-store rentals so instead of getting 3 DVDs a week you actually can get 6. For the same price, it was a no-brainer.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe

Except Blockbuster doesn't carry lots of stuff... like the recent Paul Newman box set.

I too considered dropping Netflix for Blockbuster (for the return in store thing), but no "Young Philadelphians," no way...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of movies BB Online doesn't have(just like I know for a fact that they offer a lot of stuff Netflix doesn't carry), but as I said before it just seems like a much better deal to me especially with all the free in-store rentals. Also, I've noticed that the DVDs from Blockbuster arrive in the mail much quicker than they did from Netflix, usually the very next day where Netflix would sometimes take 2-3 days.

JohnOPR

Stunt Coordinator
Pity us poor folks who have an APO address and use Netflix. Sometimes, it takes me two to three WEEKS to get a disc from them. Netflix ships them expediously (according to the info shown on my queue), but the discs must come via media mail or via a "slow boat to China". Amazon orders (purchases), on the other hand, get here within seven days of shipment (with rare exceptions). Still, I like Netflix, as renting is often better than buying.

Brent_H

Second Unit
I was a long-time NEtflixer and tried Blockbuster way back when it started, decided to stay with Netflix. Well, as soon as Blockbuster added a distribution center in my city, and Netflix didn't, I switched.

Blockbuster, as per their FAQ, does NOT throttle. And I was getting very sick of Netflix sending things in my queue from the Northest and Northwest when I live in South Texas. Blockbuster, if something is available but way far away geographically, will skip it and send something that will arrive the next day. Just a far better logistical system, IMO.

Plus, as other Brent said, the new TOTAL ACCESS thing Blockbuster is doing...your 3 a week essentially turns into 6 a week...OR MORE. No brainer.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I definitely endorse BB Online. Before "Total Access", it was a wash. I preferred BB since they gave you some in-store rentals, but that wasn't a huge factor. Add "Total Access" and I think BB is easily the way to go...

Mick Wright

Second Unit
As others have said, Blockbuster now wins hands down for several reasons:

1) No throttling. If I want a movie, and it is available, they ship it.

2) Total Access. Twice the number of movies as before. Netflix can't touch this.

3) Netflix never double dips. Blockbuster does this all the time.

I'm very happy with Blockbuster right now.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
woah...
Thanks for the opinions, guys. Don't know if we'd switch to BB though. I was once a few days late returning a videogame at a store, just dropped it in the box thinking I'd square up later and within like three weeks they had sent the $8.00 charge or whatever it was to a collection agency!!!!!!
Principle man... If we ditch Netflix I'll just go back to the corner....

:) d

Brent_H

Second Unit
BB doesn't do late fees anymore? at least not on movies. you can have it up to a week overdue, then if you don't return it, the rental converts to a sale. very fair if you ask me.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya Brent and that is indeed good. I'm just still pissed at what they did in the past and tend not to patronize a company that does such a crappy thing to their customers.

:)

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
Personally, I prefer Netflix. But that's because my wife works for them and we get 8 out at a time for free. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks