What's new

Netflix - New policy with 2 disc sets? (1 Viewer)

danak

Second Unit
I was just checking out the new releases for July 1 and for Gangs of New York, it appears that Netflix will ship both discs as one rental. In other words, the blurb on the title description says "This film spans two discs; both discs will be shipped to you simultaneously." When you ask for the title, Netflix only shows you one link, instead of the usual 2 links (for the first disc and the 2nd disc). You only can get to the second title by clicking on the details on the first title, but you can't click on the rent button on the second disc (it lists the bonus disc as unavailable).

Does anyone know for sure if this is a new policy? Are they only going to do it for titles where the movie spans two discs?

Though this new policy (assuming it continues) might make it harder for them to keep track of inventory, I think it makes it more convenient for titles that span 2 discs (assuming it's for that reason)

Dana

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
When the first two-disc sets came out (like Fight Club), Netflix was sending them out as one disc rentals. At some point in time they went to "one rental, one disc" approach and when I added Gangs of New York to my queue a little while ago, I added it as Disc 1 of 2. Yesterday I received an email stating that the second disc will be shipped automatically, but, unlike former two-disc approach, this one is supposed to be sent in a separate envelope. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is still listed as two separate discs, as well as Once Upon a Time in America, so I can't reach any reasonable conclusion.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought that they send all movies out in one shipping no matter how many disks it is as long as the disks contain the movies, not the extras. the extras have been a seperate shipping for over a year now.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
The reason they are sending both discs of Gangs of New York is because the movie spans both discs. They do the same for Pearl Harbor. DVDs where the second disc only contains bonus features are still shipped separately and count as a separate rental.

They would get a lot of complaints if users had to wait to watch the ending of films which are on the second disc.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Christopher and Tony, that's why I mentioned the Once Upon a Time in America — the movie spans two discs, yet it's listed as two separate entries on their web site, making it unclear to me how they decide when to send them together.

danak

Second Unit
There's also Godfather Part 2 which spans 2 discs and Netflix gives that as 2 separate listings as well.

Dana

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
There's also Godfather Part 2 which spans 2 discs and Netflix gives that as 2 separate listings as well

It sounds like Netflix may have made a mistake on some titles. If this is brought up I'm sure they'll fix it. It has to be an oversight, cause it's a really stupid policy.

KevinDLV

Auditioning
I rented Godfather Part II and I looked up the Godfather and got all the listings for the trilogy, which included GF II Disc 1 of 2 and GF II Disc 2 of 2 listed as separate discs. Basically you rent them totally separately as if they are different movies, but wait till both arrive to watch if you want to watch it all together.

I got the email about GoNY though and I used to have two discs waiting in my queue but it has been changed to one and they said the second disc will be automatically sent to me when the first one is. I think this is more convienient because two disc movies won't take up two slots in your three movie queue, and hopefully Netflix will be able to handle this change in inventory style. I'm going to rent it on release though so I'll update you on what happens if I remember.

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
They do the same for Pearl Harbor.
Actually, they do not send both discs for Pearl Harbor. If you look up Pearl Harbor you see Disc 1 and Disc 2. The Disc 1 listing says Please note: This is disc 1 of a 2-disc set. It contains the first part of the movie. For the end of the movie and the special features, please rent Pearl Harbor: Disc 2 of 2.

I know at one time they did send both discs for Pearl Harbor. It's hard to know what their policy is as Gangs of New York is the only movie I can find where you get both discs for one rental.

Both Blockbuster (filmcaddy) and Walmart send both discs.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
It's hard to know what their policy is as Gangs of New York is the only movie I can find where you get both discs for one rental.
As my Rental Queue shows, they do ship together automatically, but they are not "one rental" as they take up two slots.

KevinDLV

Auditioning
I think it is one rental, actually.

The movie takes up two slots, but then an "extra" slot was created automatically for my other rental.

So I have four slots temporarily. I'll try to write up an example/diagram.

1. Gangs of New York
2. Gangs of New York
3. Trapped
+ Swimfan

Note that I've already had Trapped and Swimfan for a while, but I returned Magnolia on Friday. Apparently over the weekend they recieved my movie (I'm 45 minutes from the warehouse so the turnaround is always one day there and one day coming back) and Trapped and Swimfan used to be on slots 2 and 3 respectively but have been bumped down.

Note the plus sign next to the last movie instead of a number 4. Must mean that it's a temporary slot.

Interesting indeed. I hope it works well for Netflix because it could become a good policy.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I'm on a "4 out" program and I have all four slots taken up, two by the Gangs of New York. There are no temporary slots to be found. Maybe it's due to the fact that they have received two movies from me, compared to just one from you, but all I can say with any degree of certainty is "I envy you" :)

KevinDLV

Auditioning
DARN!!

You can't envy me anymore :angry:

I had three movies out, returned one and got Gangs (2 discs together) which made me have four out, I returned the other two together and they took out my temporary slot so now I only have one coming to me!

Ah, it's fine though. I only average 10-11 per month which is lightweight compared to you all, but my service has been top notch. Good turnaround and even though the new releases are on Long Wait if you don't snatch them up in time, I'm happy watching other available movies on my list as I wait for them (though it can take months =P).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks