What's new

NETFLIX MOVIES SELLING ON EBAY? (1 Viewer)

Ernest

Supporting Actor
In searching EBAY for DVD & Movies I found many Netflix movies selling in the Blu-ray format. Titles like Stowaway, Without Remorse, Trial of the Chicago 7, Extraction and thought this made sense. Netflix is spending billions for original movie and TV content to maintain their market share of streaming. For years they left a lot of money on the table by not selling some of their content on Blu-ray or DVD. Also found Fargo seasons 1 - 4, Vikings season 6 -2 and Orange is the New Black available on DVD only. The titles I searched were being sold by US sellers.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If they're not released by Netflix, they're pirated.

Yeah, those are all pirated titles.

Netflix not releasing their exclusives isn’t a bug in the business model, it’s a feature - it’s what keeps the titles in “first run” status so they maintain their attractiveness as exclusive offerings. Whatever money Netflix is forgoing in not doing a physical release is more than made up for by the number of subscribers such titles bring to the service. Subscription streaming has nearly ten times the revenue as physical media sales at this point in time so I really don’t think they’re forgoing a lot of money in not catering to that market.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
e-bay is a haven for bootlegs and pirated movies. If these were legit releases, they'd be available at Amazon, Best Buy, Deep Discount, Movies Unlimited etc. and not just e-bay.

Moderators: you might possibly want to delete this thread as it goes against the HTF policy of promoting bootlegs (though I'm positive it wasn't the OP's intention).

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
If they're not released by Netflix, they're pirated.
Not necessarily. The movie The Cult had an official Blu-ray release in Brazil by Imagem Filmes and it's on eBay. A bootleg of the same movie can also be found there but you can clearly tell by the cover art it's fake.

Depending on the production, like The Cult, it's up to the producers to negotiate licensing for home video while Netflix holds exclusive rights for streaming.

e-bay is a haven for bootlegs and pirated movies. If these were legit releases, they'd be available at Amazon, Best Buy, Deep Discount, Movies Unlimited etc. and not just e-bay.

Moderators: you might possibly want to delete this thread as it goes against the HTF policy of promoting bootlegs (though I'm positive it wasn't the OP's intention).
I disagree about deleting this thread. It's not promoting bootlegs. It's actually good for us to check in with each other and learn about the status of some releases and learn if they are indeed authorized or not.

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
Yeah, those are all pirated titles.

Netflix not releasing their exclusives isn’t a bug in the business model, it’s a feature - it’s what keeps the titles in “first run” status so they maintain their attractiveness as exclusive offerings. Whatever money Netflix is forgoing in not doing a physical release is more than made up for by the number of subscribers such titles bring to the service. Subscription streaming has nearly ten times the revenue as physical media sales at this point in time so I really don’t think they’re forgoing a lot of money in not catering to that market.
They do however have some of their big hits on Blu-ray: OITNB and Stranger Things.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They weren’t the production studio on OITNB; Lionsgate produced the show and retained physical media rights when they shopped it to Netflix, similar to how a show will have a first run on broadcast and then appear on disc later on. With Stranger Things, they did a retail exclusive release on disc at Target - I think the deal was that Target agreed to promote the streaming service in exchange for carrying the disc so it was a strategic move at the time the show was new.

There will undoubtedly be other exceptions to the rule but that’s what I think they are: exceptions, not the standard policy. I imagine we’ll see even more of this as physical media sales decline further and as audiences continue to patronize subscription streaming over a la carte purchases. It’s worth more to these services to maintain exclusivity than it is to pick up a couple extra bucks on discs.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
We don't delete these honest questions and answers since it can help others understand what's legit and what's not. If it's deleted, then others can't beneft from Ernest's question.

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
One if the titles Ernest mentioned (Without Remorse) is not a Netflix title but is a Paramount Pictures film that was made for theatrical release and then sold to Amazon Prime as the closure of many theatres dragged on and on over the last year. Definitely not a Paramount Home Video release .

ahollis

Premium
Real Name
Allen
Well I’m hoping that Paramount releases Coming 2 America on Blu-ray. That’s the only way I’ll buy it.
I really laughed at the movie and I had 6 friends over to watch it and we all laughed. It needed an audience.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hold out hope that Paramount titles may see a legitimate disc release in the future, as it seems like they may sell the streaming rights but retain disc rights after a suitable window. After they sold The Cloverfield Paradox to Netflix in February 2018, the discs were released by Paramount in February 2019.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Orange is the New Black is Lionsgate and has had individual seasons released on blu-ray and DVD. I picked a set of Seasons 1-5 on DVD for $10.00 last November at Wal*Mart as I wasn't sure I had all of the seasons on blu-ray.

DVDs on Amazon

Blu-rays on Amazon (including a foreign release for 1 & 2)

This is the set I purchased during a Black Friday deal at Wal*Mart.

Amazon product

Most (but not all) of the individual releases come with a Digital Code. Virtually all legit releases have a slipcover.

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Netflix actually has done physical releases of some of their movies, but those are through Criterion. They certainly aren’t selling their content on eBay. :rolleyes:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Fargo (the series) has been released on home video by FOX and I believe only the first two seasons were released on blu-ray'

I purchased the equivalent of this set individually at local retailers ...

Amazon product

I believe the home video releases of the Series stopped with the DVD release of Season 3

Amazon product

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the titles mentioned above are available on dvd as For Your Consideration screeners given to industry professionals. They're not supposed to sell them on ebay but they do it anyway. I'm a member of SAG and I've got all kinds of Netflix and Amazon Prime dvds that aren't available to the general public, like Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, The Queen's Gambit complete series--all kinds of stuff. They aren't bootlegs, you're just not supposed to have them! I live in Southern California and I always find tons of these things in thrift shops, too.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I hold out hope that Paramount titles may see a legitimate disc release in the future, as it seems like they may sell the streaming rights but retain disc rights after a suitable window. After they sold The Cloverfield Paradox to Netflix in February 2018, the discs were released by Paramount in February 2019.
Not NetFlix, but Amazon Prime, Jack Ryan season 1 & 2 were released on both blu-ray and DVD by Paramount. If my memory is correct, about six months after they premiered on Prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaikikiJason
Recent bookmarks