1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix loses 130k US subscribers

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Martin Dew, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

From what I understand, Netflix's stock value didn't drop because they lost 130,000 subscribers, but because they did not come close to reaching their own projected growth goals last quarter. That will always cause a stock to drop.

2. Message #42 of 59 Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

I would also argue, in response to Josh's post, that the stock dropped not because of where the market sees Netflix's business today, but because of where it sees it being 2-3 years from now.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That's a good point.

It's probably a different discussion, but what does that say about the state of the industry that they have over 100 million subscribers and both they and their shareholders still feel a need to project and see growth in order for them to consider the company a success? Everyone may be setting the bar unrealistically high.

4. Message #44 of 59 Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

Netflix has now lost $24 billion in value as the stock has dropped for 9 straight days...

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  5. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Yes, but they're also spending $15 billion on programming.

6. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    And how many of those 100 million are active subscribers?

According to many posters here, they activate for a month, then drop for several months, then re-activate when a show they like comes out (and none of the other half-dozen services are still active).

Is 100 million an accurate number or just marketing hype?

7. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    chartoftheday_10311_netflix_subscriptions_usa_international_n.

Tino likes this.
  8. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Is it me, or has Netflix Customer Service gone completely down the tubes? I wasted over 90 minutes on the phone today on an issue I was having that was obviously a Netflix issue, but they were adamant it was a Roku issue and even asked me to conference call Roku. So we had Netflix's call center in the Philippines on one line, Roku's call center in India, both with thick heavy accents and tons of background conversations. Roku walked me through some troubleshooting and determined that it was indeed a Netflix issue, yet the Netflix rep dug in her heels to say it was an issue with Roku.

I remember when it was a pleasure to call Netflix when I had an issue, as they were pleasant to speak with and actually sounded like they care. Not so much anymore. I am thinking of downgrading my service to the $12.99 HD plan at this point.

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I haven’t had that problem specifically but I’ve noticed that trend in general with a lot of companies that used to do better at this.

It seems like they’re playing a scale game. If they have 150 million U.S. subscribers, and if your problem can’t be fixed freely and inexpensively, they’re often gambling that the cost of making the proper repair or hiring more expensive customer service to better address the issue, is higher than the cost of losing a few $10 a month subscriptions. And there aren’t enough truly unhappy people to quit in large enough numbers for Netflix to notice.

I think this is going to be a much larger problem going forward as services consolidate and get to a point where voting with your wallet doesn’t affect their bottom line in the slightest.

10. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    I cancelled my Netflix account for multiple reasons. I don’t think I will ever renew long term. The only time I will is when the Beverly Hills cop movie comes out that they are licensed by paramount for

11. Scott Merryfield

If it's the first Beverly Hills Cop film, you can buy it from iTunes right now for $6.99, and it will get upgraded to 4K when available. That's less than half the cost for a month of Netflix. All three films are available for $16.99, or about the cost of a month of Netflix with 4K service.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Scott,

I think he's talking about the new Beverly Hills Cop movie.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/beverly-hills-cop-sequel-netflix-eddie-murphy-jerry-bruckheimer-paramount-license-deal-1202785458/

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  13. Message #53 of 59 Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Going a bit off topic....
    AT&T is even worse. I had cancelled my DirecTV last month, then got conflicting e-mails telling me first to return my equipment (by taking a copy of my bill and the equipment to a UPS Store), then a second email to go ahead and recycle it. I called to ask what they wanted me to do, as I did not want to get hit with a non-return fee, plus the fact that the closest UPS Store was 130 miles away. Four hours of phone calls later (and being bounced around to various departments), I still don't know what I'm supposed to do. One person said that I could take my bill and equipment to the US Post Office and they would box it up and ship it back for me (yeah, right). Half the people said to recycle it, the other half said to drive 130 miles to return it. I gave up and will use the e-mail they sent, which includes the serial numbers of my equipment, as proof that I am not to return it, and if they charge a non-return fee and send me to collections, I'll be seeing them in small claims court.

Atari likes this.
  14. Scott Merryfield

Osato likes this.
  15. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    Yep, I’ll renew long enough to see that. And that’s it. Netflix seems to be a sinking ship

16. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Well, 5 years ago the stock was trading at around 50, and now it's trading over 250. I don't invest in such things, but it seems like they are doing something at least sort-of right.

17. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Disagree. Netflix produces some junk, but overall imho they've got a lot of good stuff on, and more seemingly appearing every week. I feel like my money is up there on the screen every month. In fact, it's hard for me to keep up with all of the Netflix Originals I want to watch. But here are a few that have appeared in the last few months, some of which I have already watched and enjoyed....

The Crown's 3rd Season, Great British Baking Show, Civilization, World War II in Color, The Movies that Made Us, Dark Crystal Age of Resistance, Frankenstein Chronicles, The King, etc., etc.

18. Message #58 of 59 Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Screenwriter

As the saying goes for people who do invest in such things - you can't buy past performance, only future performance.

For anyone who owned the stock the week I made that post 5 months ago, it was not a good thing that was going on and the news did not portend well for future returns.

Also, just because the business landscape might have changed for Netflix this year doesn't mean they hadn't done things sort-of-right leading up to that. Nobody suggested otherwise.

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Season 3 of The Dragon Prince is out! Can’t cancel Netflix now! :)
    Season 2 of Altered Carbon is due out pretty soon, I think.
    And I’ve finished my rewatch of Season 1 of The O.A., so I can finally get to Season 2.

I enjoy Netflix largely for its originals. (though I’ve started watching The Magicians).

As long as Netflix can afford to make its original programming, I’m in. I’m not there for reruns. But a lot of people want their comfort TV, and Disney and Hulu and CBS and Warner/HBO will be devouring those options.