What's new

Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 B (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
They say DVDs have likely peaked, not that they're over.
Streaming may be the future, but it's not quite the present yet; there are still plenty of people who don't have fast enough Internet connections for streaming to really be worth it. I myself just recently downgraded to a slower-speed connection and have noticed a sharp drop in the speed and quality of Netflix's streaming offerings. If Netflix and other companies push this "switch" too hard before the market is completely ready for it, it might backfire on them.
Of course, I'm just rambling here; I don't have any research to back this up. Like I said, I'm sure streaming is the future, but until every potential customer has an Internet connection fast enough to stream content without hiccups, and the studios "open up the vaults," so-to-speak (in terms of what is available to stream), then there will still be a market for physical media (albeit a declining one).
On the other hand, the history of media has shown that most people will go for convenience over quality (and I admit, sometimes I do, too), so who knows?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
James David Walley said:
I'm on the $11.99 plan, which would go up to $17.98.
I don't use Netflix enough to warrant that kind of price hike, so I am dropping the service altogether.
Steve, I remember when Netflix first came out. You were so enthusiastic about it ("the Divx-killer") over at your own site that I found myself wondering if you were a part-owner of the company. :D The fact that they've managed to lose even you with this move speaks volumes to me.
It's good to be remembered. And I still think that national, mail order DVD rentals were a nail in DIVX's coffin.
I was probably Netflix's favorite kind of customer. Discs would sit for weeks unwatched while I viewed my own discs or TV. Not anymore!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I totally get the frustration, but the various members of my household (myself included) stream Netflix stuff CONSTANTLY. It's totally worth it to us, even with the price hike. I'm staying with 'em.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I ditched the streaming part of NetFlix this week.
Now i have Unlimited 1 at a time DVD / Blu-ray. I watched a total of 3 movies on the streaming via my PS3 when it was free. Thanks for helping me save some money, NetFlix. Come October, i bet a few people will drop disc or streaming plans, if not the whole thing.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck
Of course, I'm just rambling here; I don't have any research to back this up. Like I said, I'm sure streaming is the future, but until every potential customer has an Internet connection fast enough to stream content without hiccups, and the studios "open up the vaults," so-to-speak (in terms of what is available to stream), then there will still be a market for physical media (albeit a declining one).

And that's exactly my problem with the push to streaming: a very small percentage of the stuff I want to watch is actually available to stream. Yes, it is more convenient and quicker and the like...but if I'm stuck watching Sharktopus vs. Megasaur or other similar titles, it's not worth it. I also have problems with the "frequent" streaming outages. With physical media, you can plug the disc in anywhere at any time, even when the power is out if you have a charged laptop or other portable device.

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
Streaming may be the future, but it's not quite the present yet; there are still plenty of people who don't have fast enough Internet connections for streaming to really be worth it. I myself just recently downgraded to a slower-speed connection and have noticed a sharp drop in the speed and quality of Netflix's streaming offerings. If Netflix and other companies push this "switch" too hard before the market is completely ready for it, it might backfire on them.
As someone who has never bothered doing the NetFlix Dance, I need to ask: what constitutes a "fast enough Internet connection" to use it? I suspect that the phone company's DSL connection out here in the exurbs wouldn't cut it, particularly since Internet radio stations via Squeezebox Touch come to a screeching halt whenever my almost-teen daughter watches YouTube videos on her laptop (which, at this point is practically every *$^% minute of the day).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I also have problems with the "frequent" streaming outages.
I've experienced very few streaming outages. The only one I can remember was two weekends ago. Timed perfectly with their price increase annoucement.
I need to ask: what constitutes a "fast enough Internet connection" to use it? I suspect that the phone company's DSL connection out here in the exurbs wouldn't cut it, particularly since Internet radio stations via Squeezebox Touch come to a screeching halt whenever my almost-teen daughter watches YouTube videos on her laptop
A DSL may not cut it for full resolution streaming. I have a FiOS 15/5 line and have no problems. I believe that's now their basic speed, although when I started it was slower, and running multiple high bandwidth applications did cause dropouts.
My dilema with Netflix is we do use the streaming a lot for TV shows. And for TV shows I don't care as much about audio quality. But for movies, audio quality does matter to me. Hence, I really liked having both DVDs and streaming, as they complemented one another. When it gets closer to my price increase time in Sep, I'm going to drop or reduce one of them; I'm 99% sure I'm going to drop the streaming. (Since I have Amazon Prime and its free streaming anyway, that should be enough to satisfy our on-demand craving).
If they offered surround streaming through Roku, or even if they had a better selection of streaming movies, then I have to admit I'd probably do what their research suggests and drop the DVDs. (And continue to buy the few I wanted.)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
My 3 Mb DSL connection was fast enough for NetFlix streaming, sometimes... It's my understanding that that's about the minimum that might work.
Too often, the quality would drop to 3 or 2 dots. At 4 dots, it was about DVD quality, 3 dots was pretty good, 2 dots borderline unwatchable. I even occasionally got HD quality, which was darn good, but sure can't count on it. Made it a lot easier to cancel streaming.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Adam Gregorich said:
Thinking further I'm suprised they don't give you a price break by susscribing to more than one service (DVD+streaming)
Good point. I guess the concept of bundling is lost on Netflix.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
SD_Brian said:
What I object to most about this whole situation is that I didn't receive direct notification from Netflix about the price change until a full 8 hours after I had read about it online. When the notification finally showed up, the tone was basically, "Suck it up or Cancel!"
That's the way I see it too. Netflix obviously wants a certain tier to cancel and this is their clever way of accomplishing it.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Sounds like Blockbuster fully intends to compete in the streaming arena
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-dish-20110802,0,7304118.story

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by John Dirk
That's the way I see it too. Netflix obviously wants a certain tier to cancel and this is their clever way of accomplishing it.
Not really so clever, considering the mix of responses to how people are reacting to this news. If they wanted people to cut the DVD plan for streaming, their plan backfired for the most part, and that's mostly due to the lack of content online.

Now, the reaction from me is to can the discs, but like Steve, it was mostly free money for them because my discs could be sitting for months. So, after two price hikes, it isn't worth it anymore to leave those discs lying around. They can have them back.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I discovered that many of the DVDs I had in my queue are available at my local library, so I won't miss the DVD option. I'll use the money I save to buy BRs.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by RobertR
I discovered that many of the DVDs I had in my queue are available at my local library, so I won't miss the DVD option. I'll use the money I save to buy BRs.
Yes Robert and don't forget that most Libraries have loan agreements with other districts so if you can't find something that you are looking for the library can search for the copy via the loan program. Usually for free (Your tax dollars at work, actually).
I do this all the time in my district.

Many people forget that the library has such a large collection. I am a fan of BBC period dramas (my husband hates when I watch them, HA!) My district has over 270 British dramas alone...I'm in borrowing heaven since the limit is 100 of any item at one time.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
TheLongshot said:
Not really so clever, considering the mix of responses to how people are reacting to this news.  
I'm thinking they're trying to get rid of customers like me who rent one DVD/BD at a time, watch it that night and then send it back immediately. Plus I watch a fair amount of streaming content. My goal is to leverage Netflix for all it's worth.The overall reactions from their customer base may be mixed, but if you review the aggregate response on this forum, I think you'll find that people with more expensive plans tend to not be bothered as much by this. Any business wants to retain high profit customers and dump the low profit [loss leaders] when they can. Netflix has reached a point where they are only interested in certain customers and that is fine with me. I just think they could have been a little more classy in their approach.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Now there is talk that streaming charges will be on a per user basis in the possible future! I have no idea how they would do that, but if it comes down to a per user or per device charge, so long Netflix completely.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/16/netflix-just-for-kids-section_n_928026.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks