What's new

Netflix experiment semi-log --- how fast and how many can i rent (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
count so far
28 days - - 21 received.

may 22 -I sent back 3

may 20 -I recieved 1

may 19 -I received 3 - sent back 1

may 17 -I sent 3 back

may 16 -I received 3

may 13 -I Received 1 - sent one back

may 10 -I sent back 3

may 9 -I received 3

may 5 -I received 3 - I sent back 3

may 3 -I received 1 - I sent back 3

may 2 -I received 2

april 28 -I received 3 - I sent back 3

april 27 -I sent back 1

april 26 -I received 1

april 25 -Netflix received 1 shipped 1

april 24 -I sent in 4

May 23
Sat i got the last dvd of this experiment.
I sent that and 2 others yesterday morn.
netflix only got one yesterday and the other 2 today, according to their email notices they sent me.

So that's it.

i got 21 dvds in 28 days.
in fact i got 7 the last 7 days so no slowdown, no titles changing to long wait.
the only oddity was "now" kimba dvds being skipped over several times.

Actually they did it again toda skiiped right over 2 kimbas and shipped the next 2 titles.

May 20
yesteday i got 3 .
i sent only 1 in because i actually wanted to watch 2, they were hd dvd.
sending them in on sat doesnt matter too much with netflix as they dont operate on weekends.

Also they skipped over 2 dvds at the top of my Q.

went right past 2 kimba dvds again and went to one listed next inline.

All were listed as now.

May 15

Ok it's been 3 weeks since i started.

weekly dvd count
1-7 - 4 dvds received
8-14 - 6 received
15-21 - 4 received
22-28 - 7 received

over 4 weeks 21 total in my mailbox.

May 12

well they skipped 2 dvds again for shipment.
i have the last 3 kimba in my q and below that i had the jamie kennedy stuff(see below).
so i still have the last 3 kimbas and now will receive the last 2 JK instaed.
all these are listed as now in the Q

may 10
i received the 2 jamie dvds yesterday and kimba dvd #7.
put them in the mail today.

this is what they are shipping now

1Kimba: The White Lion: Ultra Ed.: Disc 8
2Jamie Kennedy Experiment: Season 2: Disc 1
3Jamie Kennedy Experiment: Season 2: Disc 2
4Kimba: The White Lion: Ultra Ed.: Disc 7

you can see they are shipping 2 of the jamie kennedy discs.
i had the entire kimba series in my Q in order. but now they have skipped
kimba 9, 10 and bonus and went right to JK.
everything in the Q says "now"

here is the top of my Q.

Kimba: The White Lion: Ultra Ed.: Disc 9
Kimba: The White Lion: Ultra Ed.: Disc 10
Kimba: The White Lion: Bonus Material
Jamie Kennedy Experiment: Season 2: Disc 3
Jamie Kennedy Experiment: Season 2: Disc 4

well so far after 8 days i received 6 dvds, not bad so far.
nothing changed to long wait.
all sent in order and none have been skipped

i received 1 dvd today 26th but was too late to put it in the mail so it'll go in the mail the 27th.
monday i sent back all 4 dvd's to see how many i could rent in a period of time.

all i'm going to do is send them back as soon as i get them.
just curious i guess.

i got a received confirm yesterday for one and so far today confirm for 2 more.
so there is still one dvd not confirmed.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
If they have a lot of customers like this, I can see why they delay shipments. They're losing money on this one. Don't get me wrong, I think they should be upfront about limiting deliveries to frequent customers, but you shouldn't expect them to take a loss on every customer.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you think so?

i think this is what the service is.
you pay a monthly fee and rent as many movies as you can get shipped back.

besides how many people are going to do this?

my normal month is maybe 2 or 3 dvds.
it's rare that i get more then that.
i often hold 1 for 2 or 3 months.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just received this email from netflix.

This settlement arises from a class action lawsuit entitled Chavez v. Netflix, Inc. that was filed in San Francisco Superior Court (case number CGC-04-434884) on September 23, 2004. The lawsuit alleges that Netflix failed to provide "unlimited" DVD rentals and "one day delivery" as promised in its marketing materials. Netflix has denied any wrongdoing or liability. The parties have reached, and the Court has approved, a settlement that they believe is in the best interests of the Class Members. Under the terms of the amended settlement, Netflix will provide eligible subscribers with the benefit described below.

* Current Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 and were a member as of October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month upgrade in service level. For example, if you are on the 3 DVDs at-a-time program, you will be upgraded to the 4 DVDs at-a-time program for one month. There will be no price increase during the upgraded month. The upgrade in service level will automatically end after one month and your subscription will return to the previous service level, unless you choose to continue at the higher service level and pay the regular subscription rate for that level after the upgraded month.

* Former Netflix Members: If you enrolled in a paid membership before January 15, 2005 but were not a member as of October 19, 2005, you are eligible to receive a free one-month Netflix membership on your choice of the 1, 2 or 3 DVDs at-a-time unlimited program. Your subscription will automatically end after one month, unless you choose to continue your membership and pay the regular subscription rate after the free month. If you do not choose to continue the service, you must return all rented DVDs within 7 days following the expiration of the free month or be subject to charge for the outstanding DVDs under Netflix's standard policy (currently, $20 per DVD).

The settlement was approved by the Court on April 28, 2006. These benefits will be provided after the Effective Date. As described in the Amended Settlement Agreement, the Effective Date depends on such factors as the pendency of any appeals and is therefore difficult to predict. Your eligibility for the benefits is based on your membership status as of October 19, 2005. Pursuant to the terms of the settlement, in addition to providing the benefit described above, Netflix will modify portions of its Terms of Use. Class Members are subject to the revised Terms of Use, available at www.netflix.com/TermsOfUse. Netflix also will refer to its Terms of Use in certain advertisements. Netflix has also agreed to pay up to $2,528,000, and the Court has awarded $1,387,138, in attorneys' fees and costs to counsel for members of the Settlement Class, including Class Counsel and counsel for all objectors, intervenors, and proposed intervenors, with an express reservation that an additional and enhanced fee may be awarded upon the final showing of the number of Class Members who timely and accurately complete the Claim Form Process. The Amended Settlement Agreement is available for review at www.netflix.com/settlement.

You have three options to respond to the amended settlement. You have until June 26, 2006 to make your decision.

Option 1. Sign Up For One Month of Free Membership or Free Upgraded Service As Part Of The Settlement
To receive the benefit, you must complete the online registration process no later than June 26, 2006, at www.netflix.com/settlement. By signing up for the benefit, you waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Claims Released By The Class (as defined in the Settlement Agreement found at www.netflix.com/settlement)..

Option 2. Do Nothing
If you do not wish to receive the benefit, do nothing. You will not receive the benefit but will remain a Class Member. You therefore waive your right to bring a separate lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Claims Released By The Class.

Option 3. Exclude Yourself From the Class
To exclude yourself from the class, you must mail a letter by June 26, 2006.. See Section VII.B. of the Amended Long Form Notice at www.netflix.com/settlement for information about the required contents of the letter and the mailing address. By excluding yourself, you preserve your right to bring a lawsuit against Netflix concerning the Claims Released By The Class. However, you will not get the benefit described above.

To receive your benefit, you must register by June 26, 2006 as described above in Option 1. You will not receive any other reminders to register for the benefit. If you have registered for the benefit and your eligibility is confirmed, then you will be provided additional information by email following the Effective Date as defined in the Amended Settlement Agreement.

To get more information about the settlement and procedures, and to take options 1 or 3, visit www.netflix.com/settlement.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
I've been a Netflix member since the middle of last July.

My rental list:

July = 5 movies
August = 14 movies
September = 13 movies
October = 11 movies
November = 6 movies
December = 12 movies
January = 10 movies
February = 10 movies
March = 8 movies
April = 9 movies
May = 5 movies

The only month I truly noticed a rental problem was November. The service was faster in the first few months of my subscription, but it's really been fine overall. I only dislike being made to wait a long time for new releases. Other than that, no complaints about the rental process.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i've been with them since it started and never had a complaint.

i just did this mostly as a goof really.

although i have noticed this week my returns have taken 1 day longer to arrive or get scanned into the netflix system.
may just be a slow delivary this time so who knows.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

I might have some sympathy for Netflix if rapid rentals were rampant by most of their members. However, I don't since this is a practice used only by a small percentage of their members.

Moreover, you infer that Netflix is suppose to make a guaranteed profit off of every membership account. Ideally that would be nice for them but that's not the way business works. In most any line of business companies lose money on some customers as they make more from others. Netflix is no different and they should not be using underhanded tactics to undermine their customers in order to achieve profits. I don't see or hear about Netflix giving people credit or lowing their monthly charge if they rent only a few movies a month. Even though they are on a 3 out at a time plan.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I'm doing something like the original poster for a small, local newspaper. They knew I was a member for a year and a half via the 3 at a time program so we set up a different account for the 8 at a time thing. The goal was to see how many I could rent a week.

As a regular member I learned that you can stick 2-3 discs into one of the return mailers so I've always done this. I always keep extra mailers by me that are being returned to Louisville. The Netflix P.O. Box is 1/2 mile from my apartment so there should never be any type of delay in them getting my titles. If I receive a disc from anywhere outside of Louisville, I never return the disc to that place. I just stick it in with my stuff going to the Louisville area.

I've been on the "8 at a time" plan for the past two weeks and I'm getting 16 titles a week. If I get a title on Monday then I mailed it back Monday or at least on Tuesday. For the most part, it's taking an extra day for Netflix to receive my packages.

8 at a time

Mail 8 back on Monday.
They receive 8 on Wednesday and ship 7 on Wed. from Louisville.
They ship the 8th title on Thursday from outside of Louisville.
Ship 7 back on Thursday to Louisville, they usually get and ship all 7 that Friday.

3 at a time

Mail back 3 on Monday.
They receive all 3 on Tuesday and mail 2 out.
The 3rd disc goes out on Wednesday.

Normally 2 out of 6 of these are coming from outside Louisville.

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
Well, I don't know what percentage of customers rent so many that Netflix loses money on them, but a company, any company, has to make a profit to stay in business. If it's becoming a problem and they're losing money they have two choices, decrease service or increase prices. I don't like it either, but that's the nature of business.

Tim L

Second Unit
i am seriously thinking of canceling and going to blockbuster or something-everytime my queue reads "very long wait" for any movie remotely newly released. Infact I waited for over a month-close to a month and half for march of the pequins and 4o year old virgin- and I still never recieved them- I had to take them out of my queue and borrow them from a friend-now again-I had munich as my number one pick- it went from available-to short wait.. to very long wait. this happens all the time- i am paying for 3 movies at a time- but it never happens that way. I am a big movie watcher and don't feel I have to place older movies that I have already seen in my queue just so I can get three movies..just venting.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks