NetFlix: considered a success

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Cunningham, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

According to this article, NetFlix is a success... so they should not be going belly up anytime soon!
    News.com article

2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

I'm surprised anyone would consider Netflix a success. They were initially a great company, but quit caring about their customers and I know a lot of people that quit caring about them.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It depends on how you define "success". If they're solvent and generating steady cashflow, they're a financial success. Whether your typical HTF member would find their service worthwhile is a different question.

M.

4. Craig Cunningham

Craig Cunningham Stunt Coordinator

I like everything about NetFlix except for the poor title availability.

5. Oswald Pascual

Oswald Pascual Second Unit

Netflix may be one of the last havens for renting in OAR.

6. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I think Michael is right about the success being financial.

I use Netflix and haven't had any real problems either. It sure would be nice if you didn't have to wait 6 months to get your hands on a popular new release though.

7. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    What concerns me is all that talk of video-on-demand discussed in that article. I'm not so sure that this is a good thing.

8. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Ah, Netflix. It's very interesting how they manipulate their shipping patterns.

Before the "I Already Mailed It Back" feature was taken out, one can check in a disc but it would take between 2-5 days for them to actually ship another disc out.

Now that this feature is no longer available, their shipping patterns are faster. In my last few returns, I have noticed that once they've received my disc back that morning, the next one is automatically shipped that same afternoon.

Someone, tell me that they were not manipulating their shipping patterns before.

~Edwin

9. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

10. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

That is what was so sad about Netflix. They actually started out really well. They didn't manipulate their shipping dates, the cost was pretty low, and you could mark things as being mailed back and they would mail you the next the same day. But in the 14 months I was with Netflix, the price nearly doubled!! Not only that, but the customer service quickly degraded to the point where it was non-existant.

Oh well, the silver lining here is that since they are successful, other people will try to make their own online rental business.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    In recent months, Netflix has been very good with the availability of new releases. You are still in for a wait if you are looking for the latest Criterions or titles like The Decalogue, though. They have also apparently replaced their stock of pan & scan Mummy Returns with widescreen (Addendum - No they did not - I was wrong).

Regards,

12. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

While customer service/value has continued to decrease, they are still a much better deal than Blockbuster. A Blockbuster DVD rental around here is about $4.30. Through Netflix I can rent 12-15 movies a month for $25 and the selection dwarfs any video store.

But I am mostly renting foreign, cult, and classics. I could care less about getting a new release near it's proper date, so my experience may be quite different from yours.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Ironically, on the day I posted this, I received an e-mail indicating that the Decalogue disc one has just shipped. This is the kind of stuff that I use them for most often, but I wanted to point out that they now apparanetly have deals in place with the studios on par with Blockbuster as far as insuring copy depth for new releases. Their service on the lower volume potential stuff I like may be lacking, but it sure beats that of my local brick and mortar rental outlets which simply do not carry the titles.

Regards,

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I still rent from them because of the large amount of older cult titles that I wouldn't be be able to rent from most places, BUT they don't seem to want to get any new Anchor Bay or Criterion titles lately. In a search I did just today I couldn't find (for instance) The Hidden Fortress - Beastmaster - Bad Taste - (Criterion's)Spartacus - Suspiria - Opera Etc.Etc. This is why I am pissed at the influx of newbies (I.E. J6P but I don't like that term) or should I say that I am pissed at Netfix's reaction to the influx because with all these new DVD owners Netflix seems to think doing things like Blockbuster (such as getting twenty copies of pop films but totally ignoring smaller films) will please the newbies. Maybe they are right but it still screws the cult film fans out there.

15. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    I don't know about most people, but the main reason I started renting from Netflix was because the older or more obscure titles. Some of the local Blockbusters had already started renting DVDs. There selection was pretty limited at the time, but I could still get a new release if I wanted to. Now Blockbuster has gotten pretty big into DVDs, but I'm sticking with NetFlix, so far, for these older titles.

My main gripe with NetFlix is that they seem to be losing titles at an alarming rate. I've never had a problem with a disc shipped to me (maybe late a couple of times, but it least it came). But they've "lost" a few discs now that I've sent back. I also know others that have started having this problem. This is a recent phenomenon. I find it hard to believe that the postal service is that bad (and only in one direction).

My main guess is that NetFlix is actually receiving the disc, but some moron in receiving isn't checking it in.

16. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Starting around spine #80 or so they quit stocking every Criterion and now only carry about half or less of what's released. Anchor Bay is the same or even worse on what they carry. And they seem to get virtually no Kino DVD's anymore. They have't carried the German silents or any of Kino's Ruscico releases.

But there's still enough of a backlog of older stuff that I imagine I'll be with them for at least 2 more years. My queue has 168 films in it.