Netflix changes "Lite" membership; More Restrictive

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveK, Jan 15, 2003.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I've subscribed to Netflix since March of 2002. Initially I was on the 3 at a time plan, but then changed to the "lite" or 2 at a time plan. This has worked pretty well, as it's normally only a 4-day turnaround cycle. Yes, there was an occasional day or two when I had no Netflix movies, but it really wasn't a problem.

Well, Netflix has decided to make their "lite" plan more restrictive. You can still only have two out at a time, but now you are also limited to a TOTAL of four movies per month! They're obviously trying to discourage "lite" memberships. They haven't (yet) done that with the other membership categories, so I made the minor upgrade to the regular 3 at a time category. I had been thinking about doing this anyway, so the limit of four per month made that decision easy.

I have to admit I'm not really too upset by this move, as Netflix offers a selection that no local video store can even dream about. Between the larger selection and the convenience of movies by mail, I've been very pleased so far with my Netflix subscription.

Just thought I'd let others know that the membership terms have changed for the "lite" subscription.

Steve K.

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Bummer, the 4 movie max sucks. I was thinking of signing up with Netflix on the lite, but had hoped that even with turn-around I'd be able to avg 6 per month.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

John - It's obviously just a guess on my part, but I'm thinking that the improved turnaround time that has resulted from the activation of regional shipping centers may be the very reason this limit was imposed. I'm certain there are people that have a 2-day turnaround and watch movies the day they receive them and return them the next day. So there are probably people that are in the 2 at a time category but average 10 or more movies per month, thus only paying around $1.50 or less per rental. I can't really blame Netflix for imposing this limit on the lowest subscription category; I just hope they don't impose a similar limit on the other categories.

As I stated in my previous posts, I have no complaints about Netflix, even with this change. They've been very prompt about sending replacement movies, and their selection is second to none. And the convenience of mail order movies can't be beat. So I have no plans to cancel my subscription, but I now subscribe to the 3 at a time plan.

Steve K.

4. Bill Mc

Bill Mc Extra

SteveK,
    I also have the 2 at a time plan and I do not see anything on the web page that states that I am only allowed four out in a months time. I even checked my account in the customer service section and it clearly states "unlimited rentals a month" I have been a member of Netflix since October and I love the service!! Will never go back to renting at a video store again. [​IMG]

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Maybe there is grandfathering???