What's new

Netflix and Superbit / DTS version discs (1 Viewer)

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not Netflix rents out Superbit and/or DTS-only DVD's (like Jaws and Jurassic Park) when a DD version is available, and if so, how to acquire them?

I figure that they only stock a single version of a particular title, so as to "make things easier" on J6P, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I was afraid of. I almost always rent before I buy, but I'll probably do what you suggest here and just buy 'em. Thanks, Jeff.

danak

Second Unit
Jeff Kleist wrote:
They only stock one version. My suggestion would be to just buy them
Netflix does claim they only stock one version of a title, and only the first version, but that's not true with quite a few titles. They have added quite a few special editions of titles, like The Color Purple, Thelma and Louise, Terminator 2 Extreme Edition, The Right Stuff, etc, generally replacing the previous bare-bones edition. On some things however, they still carry both versions, like Terminator 2's Ultimate and Extreme Editions, and the 1-disc and recently released 2-disc special editions of Dances with Wolves, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and The Right Stuff.
They might have titles that are superbit (The Panic Room is definitely one) or have DTS (The Panic Room and Jurassic Park 3 do), but there's no way to search on that. You would have to bring up the title and check the picture to see if it's a Superbit title and check the details to see if it has DTS.
Observing what they've added since I've been a member, it doesn't seem likely that they will add a Superbit edition of a title they already have but if the initial edition is a Superbit, they will have that (ie, The Panic Room).

Douglas*A*R

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-mart just started its competition rental service, and apparently they do stock DTS and Superbit versions. I think today's their first day of operations, so they'll probably be adding back-titles in short order.

Edited to add that it looks like they're also stocking Criterion editions of movies that have "standard" releases.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Wal-mart's service has been around since October of last year, unless they shut down for a time. I tried them out, and found their shipping to be slow, and sometimes a day or two after they received a disc to ship the next one out.

Chris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Interesting, but I won't try them again. The closest dist. center to me is Georgia, which is where the test center was. With Netflix, the center is in MD, alot closer. Plus the delay in sending out the next disc was a let down, though that may have improved. I do like the $25 4 out plan, as Netflix dropped this :angry:

Edited to say: They offered me a free 30-day trial (as they offer everyone) so I guess I will give them one more shot, since I do like the 4 out at a time plan

Chris

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
Watch out for Walmart's listing of "DTS" titles, though. I was just skimming through that list and I saw Double Jeopardy. That disc does not have a DTS track.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not Netflix rents out Superbit and/or DTS-only DVD's (like Jaws and Jurassic Park) when a DD version is available, and if so, how to acquire them?
Yes, they do. Long time ago it was possible to specify that you're renting a DTS version versus DD (I rented quite a few of those). However, they've done away with that before the Superbit introduction. So while they may still have separate DTS (and/or Superbit) inventory, there's no way to specify that it's the one you want, it's whether you'll get "lucky" or not.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
it's whether you'll get "lucky" or not
That's been my experience. I rented Once Upon a Time in China 2 twice, the first time I got the Columbia/Tristar version (that is pictured) the second time I got the MegaStar R0 version :rolleyes:It was ok though as both had the same version and the quality is about equal.

Chris

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
netflix used to carry many of the dts only titles, for example..edtv, peacemaker, and others. oh, paulie too.

i have rented them in the past. but i dont know if netflix still carries them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks