Netflix and OAR

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Vichness, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Josh Vichness

Josh Vichness Auditioning

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but has anyone noticed that NETFLIX is not exactly on the ball with OAR titles. Twice in the past two weeks, I have received movies from NETFLIX that have both a OAR and P&S movie (Cats and Dogs and The Mummy Returns). Both of them were P&S, not OAR. Doing a quick search of their site, I could not find the OAR titles for the above movies. Is it me? Are they there and I just couldnt find them? Should I demand my money back? What say you, ol' HTF?
    Josh

2. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I posted about these a few weeks ago. They do not carry the widescreen version of The Mummy Returns!
    I sent them an email complaining about this. I informed them that if they are going to carry only p&s versions of movies that are also offered in widescreen (OAR) they have truly lost touch with their customer base!
    I received a generic reply saying they were sorry I was not happy with the aspect ratio of The Mummy Returns. They indicated that they would forward my email to the "Correct department for review".
    I strongly recommend that you send an email to them indicating how dissappointed that you are that they carry a butchered pan and scan version of these movies! [​IMG]

3. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

A couple of weeks ago, Video Store magazine had an article about the absence of the widescreen Mummy at rental outlets. A representive for Netflix was quoted as saying their policy is to carry the widescreen version if separate formats are released. The rep went on to say Universal mistakenly sent Netflix the fullframe version of the Mummy Returns and the studio is currently trying to figure out a way to correct the problem.

4. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I hope this is true, but Netflix does also only carry the P7S version of Cats and Dog for example. I think there were more examples. I send them an email telling them I really wanted the Widescreen version.
    Then we have the different rating version like R or Unrated. I always prefer the unrated but Netflix sometimes carry the lowest rating. WIll be interesting what they will carry with American Pie 2.
    Ron Birk

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

It used to be that whenever they had several versions of the movie, you could always choose which one you wanted -- DTS, Collector's Edition, etc. Unfortunately, not any more, even if they have multiple versions, they don't show it [​IMG]

6. Pieter_L

Pieter_L Guest

it gets worse:
    reading the MUMMY2 & CATS/DOGS DVD feedback on NETFLIX, many viewers are angry at the STUDIOS for 'only' releasing it on P&S!
    i submitted a comment indicating that "the studios released BOTH versions, but NETFLIX elected NOT to stock the WIDESCREEN version", they deleted my comment - so NETFLIX customers are STILL (wrongly) blaming the studios.
    i also e-mailed them & they stated they have no current plans to get the widescreen versions of these films [​IMG]