What's new

Netflix $12.99 offer when I cancelled. (1 Viewer)

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Two days ago I cancelled my Netflix subsription since I have joined the Blockbuster online service. When I cancelled they offered me a 6 month subscription for $12.99 per month. It did not state which plan it was but it said that it was normally $25.99 per month. It stated that if I cancelled before the 6 months was up I would be charged the difference (between $12.99 and $25.99) for each month.

The plan that I had was only 4 dvds per month at $16 and some change. I decided not to keep it since I am with the $18 plan with blockbuster for 3 out at a time plus 2 free in-store rentals. I don't need 2 online rentals. Besides if I cancelled blockbuster and decided to rejoin 6 months from now I may not be able to get the $18 per month deal.

Has anyone else had this offer?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> The plan that I had was only 4 dvds per month at $16 and some change.

I never heard of a Netflix plan with a monthly limit. I'm paying around $20 plus tax for 4 out at a time, about 12-16 disks a month depending how long I keep them.

I'd expect Ballbuster to have fewer titles.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

You are correct. BB does have fewer titles than netflix but they are slowly adding to their selection. When I first joined BB a month ago I had about 50 selections in my netflix queue. I was able to find about 45 of those selections in BB online. This week I was able to find about 3 titles in BB online that were not there a month ago.

I have noticed that netflix lists movies that have not been released to dvd yet (sometimes they list some movies that are still in theaters). BB doesn't usually do this but I have seen them list a few that have not been released yet but not very many.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Very useful function IMO. I like Netflix because I can get older movies as well as new releases. I don't want to switch to others as I would suspect the selection wouldn't be nearly the same. Also, Netflix has distribution center a few miles from where I live so the whenever I put a disc in the mail, I will get another two days later. I could watch more than a movie per day if I wanted to with my 4 disc plan. Plus I have over 300 titles on my queue that I wouldn't want to re-enter to another... :)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Since when they started. I joined in August 2000 and 4 discs was their only available plan. It's not available for new members anymore. Same price as 3 disc plan.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I joined in August 2000 and 4 discs was their only available plan. It's not available for new members anymore.

Same here, but a month later. It's a great incentive to not quit with the intent of rejoining, since I'd get fewer discs for the same price.

The funny thing is that since they keep building service centers closer to me, the ship times go down, so I get more discs per month. They usually get my returns the day after I mail them, and vice versa, so if I get a disc on Mon, mail it back Tues, they get it Wed, & I get the next one Thurs or Fri. When I joined the discs were going all the way to CA, then to GA, then to south FL, then central FL, now Tampa (20 miles).

Insert evil laugh here.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
That's how it works for me too. I had one month where I couldn't get out of the house much and I looked at my Netflix rental activity for the month: 23 movies that were mailed to me during that month. That's a dollar per movie, I'm not sure how much profit they were making on my account then. Now I'm back to normal which is about 8-9 movies a month.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
I've never used netflix, but I recently joined BlockBusters $14.99 plan. Every two days I go into the store, which is right next to my house and get new movies. I take out two each time. It's been a great plan so far, because I can keep the movies as long as I want and don't have to worry about late fees.

I just wish BB would get more tv on dvd. So far I have rented Six Feet Under, Nip Tuck and will soon be on Sex and the City.

GarySchrock

Second Unit
Note, I think the original poster might have had the two at a time, 4 movie a month limit plan. The price he quotes is about right for that once you factor in tax. I'm guessing it was that, because while I'm grandfathered in on the 4 discs at once plan, I'm paying the price the 3 disc at once plan is charging now, which is higher than what he says.

I probably don't use netflix enough to justify continuing with it these days, but it's hard to give up that grandfathered 4 discs at once plan knowing I'd never get it back.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that price is good only for the first month, 24.99 is the price per month after the first month.

it is unlimited though, you can get more then 2 every 2 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks