1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NES Test Markets

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Greg_S_H, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Does anyone know if Dallas was one of the early release NES test markets? I ask because I was a little shocked a while back when I learned that Super Mario Bros. was a launch title in the US. My experience was that I waited and waited with varying degrees of impatience for the game to be released. And, I had Kung Fu along with my NES, and I surely would have had SMB if that had been an option.

I see that the box was different for the test release, but I would have to go on memory there. I actually had my box for years and years after the fact, but I eventually decided I didn't need it and threw it out (oh, where's Sam Beckett to stop me from doing stuff like that?).

Oh, and I do have a very low serial number: N0036571. [​IMG] Sexy.

2. Message #2 of 4 Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Never gets mentioned as one, but the history of the early days of the NES aren't entirely concrete and were formed years later from sometimes hazy memories and such. Nintendo of America was a small company, record keeping was poor, and it was a low key introduction without much publicity before they realized the potential and took it national.

So just because it's not cited, don't take that as gospel. For example, there's debate on the exact release date of the Super Nintendo by some, and Nintendo was huge by 1991 and the date was well publicized, yet some still want to argue it. Or how my Ocarina of Time cartridge for a long time wasn't supposed to even exist according to the "experts".

It was bought new in 1999 a year after release, had the original Fire Temple theme rather than the replacement music, and Ganon's blood at the end was red rather than the green that later reprints saw. Yet they all said for years that only gold cartridges from launch lacked those later alterations. Seems like I've been accepted as right though, judging by a Google search just now.

The New Super Mario Bros. Wii reprint from a couple of years ago will be another one they contest in the years to come. Came in the typical Wii white case rather than the original red that was used for the vast majority of NSMBWii copies that were produced, but was launched at $29.99 and thus wasn't branded as a Nintendo Selects rerelease. Given that few have paid attention to it even though it's likely been available at every Wal-Mart in the country for a time, the details will be forgotten.

So I guarantee that in collectors circles there will be some keyboard experts proclaiming that this variation didn't exist, someday a few years down the road.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I bet your Ocarina would fetch some extra cash on eBay, too! Well, I have no way to prove it, but I stick by my contention that I got the machine earlier than official launch. It doesn't much matter, other than wanting to confirm my memories. I use my AV Fami, but my original NES works and I won't sell it.

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The NES was test-marketed in the NYC/tri-state area. My parents co-owned a department store (handed down from my mother's dad when he passed away) and we had an NES just a few weeks after I was born, fall/winter of 1985.