NES question

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Jul 13, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I took my NES apart and cleaned it out very well, scrubbing the contacts inside. Most of my games work but with some I still get the power light flasing off and on. Is the console still dirty or do is it the cart? Can the cart be damaged, never to work again?

jeremy

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You never had this happen when you used your NES originally?

The flashing light is the failure of the copy protection chip in the cart to shake hands with the one in the deck. Clean the cart with some alchohol and a Q-Tip (or the blowing method, but the moisture from your breath can corrode the contacts) and try again

3. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I remember several methods to fix this problem. Jeff mentioned two.

Try putting the cart in JUST ENOUGH so that when you push it down (unless you're using the top-loading NES) it just barely can fit in. Also try to play another game and then go back to the original one.

4. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I already cleaned the game in question (Marble Madness) with the solution that comes in one of those game cleaning kits. Later I went back to play the previously working Double Dragon II but it did the same. After a round of Super Mario Bros Double Dragon II resumed working. I guess more cleaing is in order.

jeremy

5. Clay Kilpatrick

6. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Im gonna have to pick up one of those adapters. Even though my NES is in great condition because I treat it so nice it couldnt hurt to have a replacement for when it does crap out. I mean afer all its the best system ever gotta keep it working. Also I found that if you use one of those cleaning kits that they have at gamestop and clean your games and system about every 2 weeks, they work great. Just a tip.

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

can't you still buy a new style NES for peanuts now a days?

8. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I think the new-style, top-loading NES decks are still quite tough to find--I think they're usually getting at least $80-100 on Ebay, but I haven't checked in a while.
    I'd like to get one, myself, if only they had the composite outputs like the original NES units. No RF for me, thanks.
    Thank God I have my Dreamcast. . . [​IMG]
    -mwb-

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Here's another NES'er who slapped a new 72-pin connector inside ($11 on ebay). Most games work great now. Another little tip I've learned over the years is to use a Game Genie ($10 at Funcoland). The contacts the GG uses clamp down tight onto the games and some games that still don't have any luck on the new connector work great using a Game Genie. (and no you don't have to use a code)

11. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I just thought I would bring back this thread because I am going to buy one of those connectors but I was just wondering if someone who has installed one would be willing to lend me a helping hand with installing it, I do not want to go and just tear open my nes without knowing what to expect. Also I purchased one of those cleaning kits from funcoland the one that uses the little 3m cleaning pads and I was wondering where to buy more of them sense funcoland(now gamestop) won't just give me more of the pads. Thanks.