Nervous about poly-fill

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Bourgon, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Peter Bourgon

Peter Bourgon Auditioning

I went out searching for some poly-fill for the sub I'm working on, and I guess it didn't really hit me until I held the package in my hands that it was a polyester material. Does it not strike anyone as a wee bit dangerous to put so much power through a box that's full of everyone's favorite inflammable fiber?

Obviously, I'll be heatshrink-tubing all of the connections within the box (probably put a layer or two of electrical tape around it as well) but there's still - from what I can tell - the open innards of the amp in there too. Are my fears justified, or am I making some wrong assumptions?

Cheers,

Peter

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Peter, I wouldent worry about it to much the poly fill should not ignite or even melt at the temps you will normaly encounter with your sub or amp.As far as shrink tubing your connectors theres no real need to as the poly will not conduct electricty.
    Ive used poly in all my enclousers some even against a hot amp and never had the first problem.[​IMG]

3. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Oh oh......I took a bag of that stuff and crammed my cheap Jensen full of it. Hasn't caught the house on fire yet, but now you've got me worried as well.

Steve

4. SteveF

SteveF Extra

Any ideas on ways to keep the stuffing clear from the driver reliably? I would feel better if it wasn't touching the speaker, and I bet that the driver performs better if it isn't being touched. What about creating a chicken wire cage over the back of the driver? Any other ideas, or should I not worry about it? I'm assuming that the subwoofer will get carried at some point so simply pushing the polyfill away from the driver before sealing the box is not sufficient as it would just settle back.

5. Peter Bourgon

Peter Bourgon Auditioning

I think that the driver should be okay with some polyfill touching it. The concept behind putting stuffing in the box in the first place is to fool your driver into thinking that the enclosure is bigger than it is, so there shouldn't be any problem with the material coming in contact with the cone. It's lightweight enough, too, that it shouldn't matter.

Cheers,

Peter

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Guys,
    I really wouldn't worry about it. Most of the speakers made today and yesterday are filled with polyfill or some other similar substance. Have you ever seen the insides of Vandersteen speakers?
    [​IMG]
    I don't remember seeing any recalls on Vandersteen or other speakers. Best to just relax and enjoy the show! [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan Hine

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

It won't get that hot.