Nervous about picture on new 34" HD widescreen...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AndySaj, Jul 25, 2003.

1. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

Just hooked up my new Sony KV-34HS510 last night, and I have a question:

Are there any settings that I need to change when watching a digital channel, as opposed to a HD channel?

I ask because I replaced a 50" projection with this 34" HD direct view TV, and the picture from my Directv seemed better on the 50" non-HD TV than it does on my 34" HD widescreen TV. I haven't tweaked any settings on the TV yet, and my TW HD cable gets installed tomorrow, so maybe that will make a difference. Also, I have the satelite connected to the TV via S-video temporarily, so I am sure upgrading to component or DVI-D will halp as well.

Just wanted to get some expert advice.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. John_V

John_V Agent

I've had a Sony 34-XBR800 for about 8 months, so I might be able to help you out.

First thing I would do is get the picture settings adjusted. Out of the box you'll find that white level is too high, and black level too low. Use a disc like Avia or Video Essentials to get this right. Then I'd recommend venturing into the service menu to adjust the red push and geometry. I'm much happier with my set after making these adjustments.

You'll also find you can affect the picture with the picture modes (vivid, standard, movie, etc.) as well the Digital Reality Creation (DRC), although I don't think your model has the adjustable DRC that my XBR-series TV does. I found that feature, more than anything, allows me to tweak the picture to my liking. The DRC is essentially the line-doubler, up converting the interlaced source signal into a 480-line progressive picture.

As far as standard def digital cable or satellite, I'd say upgrading to component or DVI cables would produce a less-desirable picture. I found I actually prefer a composite cable over s-video for standard def digital! This is because the lower-quality cable softens the picture a bit, and I don't see as many of the MPEG compression artifacts as I did with s-video.

That being said, I'm not thrilled with the way standard definition TV looks on this TV. I actually prefer my 27" Sony standard def TV in that department. But, any concerns will go away once you see how amazing High Definition looks on this set. That's my experience. It's so much better that you won't even care to bother with tweaking the picture from a standard-def source.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The thing to remember about high def-capable sets: They expose more readily the flaws in a standard NTSC broadcast or cable image. Your older NTSC-only direct-view set masks them and, hence, looks better.

4. AndySaj

AndySaj Auditioning

Thanks John for the advice. I actually think the KV-34HS510 does have the adjustable DRC, but I will check tonight to be sure. Supposedly, the only real difference between the KV-34HS510 and the 34XBR800 is the warranty (longer on the XBR). Anyway, I will tweak the picture tonight with the Video Essentials disc, and follow the rest of your advice.

Can't wait for the cable guy tomorrow with my HD box!

Thanks again,
    Andy