Nervous about going to a new school tomorrow

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Van Patton, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Tomorrow I step into the college world for the first time and am very nervous. I'm going to Chattanooga State (http://www.cstcc.cc.tn.us) and am afraid I won't like it. I'm not use to changing schools since I went to the same school for 11 years before. I'm worried about meeting new people and trying to keep up. I find I relate better to adults than people my age although I have many close friends my age. Any advice..thanks!

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Change is often nervous-racking. Changing schools, jobs whatever...it's the threat of the unknown. Be sure to have everything organized tonight (pens, pencils, notepaper, what you'll wear...). The less you have to worry about tomorrow, the better.
    Just remember that tomorrow's just another day and in a week you'll feel right at home. [​IMG]

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Oh man...my first week of college was a trip. I had a really nice roommate though that showed me around. Its also a lot easier to meet people and make friends at college as opposed to high school or grade school. Everyone is in the same boat and everyone seems to want to know everyone else. Just be friendly and get to know your teachers and those around you. College is a blast! I really miss it and I've been out for 5 years.

4. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Not to mention the quality of the women goes up tremendously in college... [​IMG]

5. Neil M

Neil M Stunt Coordinator

I go to school tomorrow as well. This will be my third year at Michigan State. The first few days will seem very foreign to you but i can guarantee that you will have the best times of your life there. Just be friendly to others and remember that they probably feel the same way as you do.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

"I can guarantee that you will have the best times of your life there"
    I wouldn't go that far.. [​IMG]
    Whatever you do don't talk about DIY audio as a pick up line, one time I accidently did and showed this girl pictures of my HT and computer at my website. She said it was "funny".
    Also, watch out for scams... They're everywhere and hidden in many ways.

7. MikeAlletto

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

I am probably a day late Van Patton but remember that most everyone else is a little nervous too; it is not just you so take that into consideration. I used to think it was only me.

I agree with Jeremy, have as much stuff ready the night before and get there with time to spare(just not too much).

9. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

Just be yourself Thats all I have to say. College is a blast. Make the most of the 4 years.

Quote from Tommy Boy

"WELL ALOT OF PEOPLE GO TO COLLEGE FOR SEVEN YEARS"

"YEA.....THEY'RE CALLED DOCTORS"

10. MikeAlletto

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

12. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

13. Art Martinez

Art Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Hey Van, relax and be yourself. I went to college for 6 years and changed majors about 8 times. All I can say is that you should not be afraid to change your mind about what you want to study. You should always have a plan and a goal, but leave the door open, that way you find something that you really want to do and will enjoy doing.
    I ended up going from english major, to history, to communications, to communication and journalism (this one actually lead me to a job as a radio DJ for 2 years), to university studies, to creative writing, to media arts. So check it all out a lot of instructors will let you sit in on classes to check them out as long as you are not disruptive.
    The best advise I can give you is to budget your time. You don't want to be one of those people who end up pulling 48 cram sessions before finals. ( I know this from experience)
    Have fun and remember to keep posting here. After you are done studying, of course. [​IMG]

14. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Not to mention the quality of the women goes up tremendously in college...

From my hometown Orange County, CA women, Berkeley is a couple steps down.

From an SNL skit "If you believe in yourself, eat all your school, stay on milk, drink your teeth, don't do sleep, and get your eight hours of drugs, you can get WORK!"