What's new

Nero Wolfe (1981) Finally Coming to DVD! (1 Viewer)

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
So VEI uses the masters CBS provides — why would they use anything else? If these were going to be big sellers, CBS would have done a remastering from the original film (assuming they're still around with all the ownership changes with QM) and released the sets themselves. Bad disks are VEI's fault, but Nero Wolfe is the first time I've had a problem except for one disk on the complete with extras The Equalizer set, and they replaced that promptly, no questions asked. I also have the complete with extras Cagney & Lacey and Cannon sets. No problems with them at all. So I'm willing to cut VEI some slack. I never thought I see any of these sets, and I'm glad to get them. There is too much making perfect the enemy of the good. If you wish, hold off until perfection is available — but you'll have a long wait.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
So VEI uses the masters CBS provides — why would they use anything else? If these were going to be big sellers, CBS would have done a remastering from the original film (assuming they're still around with all the ownership changes with QM) and released the sets themselves. Bad disks are VEI's fault, but Nero Wolfe is the first time I've had a problem except for one disk on the complete with extras The Equalizer set, and they replaced that promptly, no questions asked. I also have the complete with extras Cagney & Lacey and Cannon sets. No problems with them at all. So I'm willing to cut VEI some slack. I never thought I see any of these sets, and I'm glad to get them. There is too much making perfect the enemy of the good. If you wish, hold off until perfection is available — but you'll have a long wait.
I say the same regarding The Immortal, Longstreet, The Magician and Angie. Give them a chance!

~Ben

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Been watching my set and spot checking most of the episodes. The transfers are definitely not new; they seem like the same videotape masters as TV Land used. There isn't a ton of debris, but they aren't sharp.

More importantly, they seem to be uncut. Every episode runs between 48:10 and 49:00, which seems correct for a 1981 show without any episodic previews.

The Thayer David movie runs 95:35 and it doesn't look better than the episodes, but also doesn't look worse. Other prints I've seen look terrible, so that was a pleasant surprise.

As for the show itself, I know fans are divided, but I enjoy it very much. Conrad is just great. He isn't doing the character exactly as written in the books, but he offers a lot of depth and conveys wonderful subtext with every line reading. It's a plot-driven show of course, but he does as much as he can to add to the character.

The scripts are variable, but if you like mystery shows of the era, they are up to par most of the time. The design and look of the show are well above average, though. That brownstone is perfect, as even quibbling Wolfians generally admit. About half the episodes were directed by George McCowan, and he makes very good use of the space. (He did a lot of Cannon episodes, so this show seems to have benefited from his relationship to the star.)

The guest casts are not what they could have been. Occasionally they splurge for a Darren McGavin or a Robert Loggia, but mostly they are a little soapy and nondescript.

Anyone else enjoying these yet?

I have really enjoyed Nero Wolfe. Never having read the books, I have no expectations for how the character should be played, but I love the way William Conrad fills the role. He steals every scene he's in, and I wish he were in more of them. The guest stars are not QM-quality as in Cannon, but William Conrad is lots of fun to watch in his take on Nero Wolfe. I wish this series could have lasted 5 years like his other two roles in Cannon and Jake and the Fatman. I'm glad that VEI has released this.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have really enjoyed Nero Wolfe. Never having read the books, I have no expectations for how the character should be played, but I love the way William Conrad fills the role. He steals every scene he's in, and I wish he were in more of them. The guest stars are not QM-quality as in Cannon, but William Conrad is lots of fun to watch in his take on Nero Wolfe. I wish this series could have lasted 5 years like his other two roles in Cannon and Jake and the Fatman. I'm glad that VEI has released this.

I hope you give the books a try, both the originals by Rex Stout and the continuation series by Robert Goldsborough. They're fun.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I would like the get this but I am wanting for them to get their bad disc fixed.

There was a new NERO WOLFE short story in SHERLOCK HOLMES MYSTERY MAGAZINE #22 March 2017.
"The Purloined Platypus" by Martin Kaye.
It was decent enough. Set in modern times as Archie uses a phone to take photos.

Also there was a opinion piece by Terry Teachout. He believes Wolfe & Goodwin are more fully form characters then Holmes & Watson.
Interesting article.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if the current copies now shipping from Amazon have been corrected by VEI in terms of that faulty disc? It says "Sold by VEI. Fulfilled by Amazon." I had heard it was taken off of Amazon for a short period. I'm wondering if the problem has now been resolved. I have yet to purchase a copy. Thanks for any info!

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Does anyone know if the current copies now shipping from Amazon have been corrected by VEI in terms of that faulty disc? It says "Sold by VEI. Fulfilled by Amazon." I had heard it was taken off of Amazon for a short period. I'm wondering if the problem has now been resolved. I have yet to purchase a copy. Thanks for any info!
Fingers crossed!

VEI's official website also has it available for purchase again:
https://www.visualentertainment.tv/products/nero-wolfe-the-complete-series

~Ben

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Finally got around to purchase NERO WOLFE.
Only watched the movie with Thayer David. Decent adaptation of "The Door Bell Rang".
Although I prefer the A&E series version more.

I was please to see on the back copy on the DVD case that "GUNSMOKE" is mention as one of William Conrad's credit.
Very Surprise! Usually an actor's radio work is dismissed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks